Office 365 ProPlus Transition
Office 365 ProPlus will become standard on all centrally-supported University devices
Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus will be standard on all new, repurposed, or reimaged centrally-supported University devices. Currently, centrally-supported devices run Office 2016, Office 2019, or other legacy versions.
Note: The information on this page does not cover Office 365 for personally-owned devices. If you are looking for Office 365 for personal devices, see Microsoft Office 365 Pro Plus: For Faculty, Staff & Students Personally Owned Devices.
What is the difference between Office 365 ProPlus and other versions of Office?
Office 365 ProPlus requires occasional sign-in and runs updates automatically in the background. This means that you'll always have the latest features, fixes, and security updates. Office 2019 and older versions do not require users to sign in and must be manually updated.
Why are we changing?
- Improvement to the update process (updates run in background)
- Latest security updates and features directly from Microsoft
- Align the University with enterprise standards for Office
- Create continuity between the Office software users have at home and on-campus
- Eliminate legacy versions and standardize versioning across the University
- Unify the user experience across computing platforms
How do I know if my device is centrally-supported?
If your device is centrally-supported, it should have a gold asset tag on it. If you are unsure about whether your device is centrally-supported, contact Technology Help or your local IT.
Personal devices should refer to Microsoft Office 365 Pro Plus: For Faculty, Staff & Students Personally Owned Devices.
What is Office 365 ProPlus?
Office 365 ProPlus is a full version of Office, so you will have access to the robust Office desktop apps that you’re familiar with, like Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. Office 365 ProPlus is not a web-based version of Office, so you do not need to be connected to the internet all the time to use it.
Unlike other versions of Office (e.g. Office 2019 and older), Office 365 ProPlus is updated regularly, as often as monthly, with new features. For a list of new features, see what's new in Office 365.
How can I get Office 365 ProPlus?
Note: Installation of Office 365 will remove any older versions of Office, Visio, or Project from your device. Additionally, Office 365 for Mac will use one of your personal device licenses. Office 365 for Windows installed using SCCM will not use one of your personal device licenses.
What should I review before starting my upgrade?
Before you download Office 365, consider the following:
- Microsoft Word, Excel or PowerPoint add-ins may require updates or upgrades before you download/run Office 365.
- Old versions of Visio and Project will be uninstalled when you upgrade to Office 365.
- After you upgrade to Office 365, check Software Center for Visio or Project to re-download if you use those applications. If they aren’t available, contact [email protected].
- Confirm Access database compatibility with Office 365
- Older add-ins or macros may not be compatible with Office 365. Check the vendor website for compatibility.
Is Office 365 ProPlus 32 or 64-bit?
Will Office 365 ProPlus use one of my device licenses?
With your University email address you can download Office 365 on up to 15 devices (5 computers, 5 tablets, 5 phones).
- Mac: Yes, Office 365 ProPlus will use one of your five computer licenses.
- Note: if you already have Office 365 downloaded on 5 computers, when you download to a sixth computer, it will be deactivated (not removed) on the computer with the longest period of inactivity.
- Windows: No, the installation in SCCM of Office 365 ProPlus will not use one of your licenses.
How do I activate Office 365?
When you first open an Office application after downloading Office 365, it will need activation. You must connect to the internet at least once every 30 days to keep Office activated. Outside of activation, an internet connection is not needed to use Office 365. Read how to activate Office 365 ProPlus.
How do I maintain my Office 365 subscription?
Office 365 ProPlus is offered as a subscription. Even though you don't need to be connected to the internet all the time to use Office 365 ProPlus, you must connect to the internet at least once every 30 days. If you don't connect within 30 days, Office 365 ProPlus will enter reduced functionality mode. After you connect to the internet and your subscription status is verified, all the features of Office 365 ProPlus will become available again.
What UMN accounts are not eligible to use Office 365?
Office 365 ProPlus licensing is not available for the following account types: sponsored, retired staff, retired faculty, faculty emeritus, and alumni. These account types are only compatible with Office 2019. Contact Technology Help for help with accessing Office 2019.
Can I use Office 2019 instead?
Office 365 is the new standard on all eligible devices. Office 2019 is recommended for shared devices or devices that are commonly used by employees with accounts that are not eligible for Office 365. If you have questions, contact Technology Help.
Is OneDrive available with Office 365?
OneDrive for Business is not available with your UMN internet ID. You should not associate your UMN ID with OneDrive storage.