Zoom: Share Your Screen
If you want other meeting attendees to see what you are working on, you can share your screen by clicking on the Share button in the Zoom toolbar.
In this article:
- Screen sharing permissions
- Screen-share your Zoom windows
- Screen-share a PowerPoint deck
- Screen-share a Google Slides deck
- Learn More
Screen sharing permissions
If you are the meeting host, you can:
- "lock screen share", so no attendees can screen share without your permission
- allow multiple participants to share simultaneously.
Note: If you or your participants want to share multiple screens, using two monitors will help you do this effectively.
Screen-share Your Zoom windows
By default, Zoom windows and toolbars are not included in screen sharing. For example, if you share your desktop which contains a powerpoint presentation and the Zoom chat and manage participants windows, only the powerpoint would be broadcast in the Zoom meeting or webinar. If you are using the Zoom Client for Meetings desktop application, you can show your Zoom windows and toolbars while sharing your screen if you follow these steps:
- Log in to your UMN Zoom account through your web browser at umn.zoom.us
- Click on Meeting Settings in the left-hand navigation column
- Select In Meeting (Basic) in the meeting tab or scroll down to locate the setting Show Zoom windows during screen share.
- Click on the toggle switch to enable this feature.
- Launch the zoom.us desktop application on your computer
- Sign-in with SSO if you are not already logged in
- Click on the Settings (gear icon) button underneath your profile photo in the upper-right corner
- In the General tab, locate the option to Show Zoom windows during screen share
- Check the box to enable the feature
Screen-share a PowerPoint deck
Zoom offers detailed step-by-step instructions for using Microsoft Powerpoint presentations with screen sharing in their Help Center article. You can also refer to these two quick tips:
If you are screen sharing with Powerpoint and have multiple displays/monitors or an a projector, click Swap Displays in the Powerpoint toolbar to switch to to the presentation screen during Slide Show Mode.
SlideShow in Full Screen and Chat
If you are using Full Screen presentation mode in Powerpoint, but you want to also use the chat feature in Zoom during your presentation, change the Show Type to Browsed by an individual (window) in the Set Up Slide Show options under the Slide Show menu in PowerPoint.
Screen-share a Google Slides deck
- Open your Google Slides presentation in a browser tab.
- Click Share on the Zoom Menu Bar.
- In the Zoom screen-sharing window, select your Google Slide Presentation.
- In Google Slides, click Present on the upper right side of the menu bar.
Your presentation will open in full screen and be shared with meeting participants. Meeting participants will only see the presentation. When you exit full screen, your browser window will be shared again.
- Note: To present in Presenter view with speaker notes, click the drop down arrow next to the Present button then select Presenter view. Your presentation will open. Speaker Notes will open in a new window that is not shared.
- To stop sharing your screen click Stop Share.
Refer to Share Your Google Slides Presentation for more details.
To watch a video on sharing your screen, or to view detailed instructions for each operating system, view the Zoom Help Center.