Enable students to answer questions during a lecture and gather their responses
ChimeIn is a student response (clicker) tool created at the University of Minnesota. It is a free alternative to hardware clickers, with more advanced functionality. Participants can access ChimeIn with a mobile device or computer. Instructors can set up ChimeIn to integrate with a Canvas site.
Integration with Canvas means you can have Chimes that are linked to the gradebook. You have several choices for how ChimeIn assignments are recorded in Canvas. For more details, refer to the Using ChimeIn in Canvas documentation link below.
ChimeIn can be used in classes, but it can also be used for meetings, conferences, or any type of event in which you want to collect feedback.
Instructors can use ChimeIn with classes to:
- Get immediate feedback after a lecture or class activity
- Have students share when/where they run into class content outside of class
- Take a rough attendance of who was present in class
- Multiple choice/Multiple answers
- Slider (rating)
- Heatmap (choose spot on image) - not accessible to screen readers
- Text Heatmap (choose text) - not accessible to screen readers
- Free Response (can create word cloud)
- Image Response
Integration into Canvas
Read more about ChimeIn in Canvas.
Past phase: Technical Review
Past phase: Initial Review
Current phase: Integrated
Tool is integrated into Canvas
- Course Management
ChimeIn is Free - You must have a University account to create a ChimeIn. You can have anyone (even outside the UMN) participate in answering ChimeIn questions