Top Hat: Getting Started for Students
Top Hat is a comprehensive teaching platform that helps encourage an interactive lecture experience.
You only need Top Hat if you are taking a course with an instructor that is requiring Top Hat.
What to expect
- If you are enrolled in a course that will be using Top Hat, your instructor will prompt Top Hat to send an invitation to your umn.edu email.
- Follow the directions in that email to create your account (if you don't already have a Top Hat account) and join the class.
- Be sure to use your umn.edu email to set up your account! This ensures your grades can be easily transferred to Canvas.
- During the process, if your college has not purchased a license for you or you do not already have your own Top Hat license, you will be prompted to purchase a license for Top Hat.
- Typically teachers arrange for Top Hat vouchers to be available at the UMN Bookstore.
- You can also purchase directly from the Top Hat website.
- Do not purchase your license more than a week before classes start.
- Browse the Top Hat orientation materials.
- If you have any issues with your Top Hat account or getting Top Hat to work on your device: