You are here
Google Sites: Configure Google Analytics for Your Site
Curious where your site's traffic is coming from or how people navigate around your site? You can add Google Analytics to your site to help monitor its traffic.
This article will cover:
- Logging into Google Analytics
- Creating a Google Analytics account
- Linking your Google Analytics account to your Google Site
- Additional information
- Go to analytics.google.com.
- Enter your UMN email address and click Next.
- Log in with your University internet ID and password.
We recommend you create a new Analytics account for each of your sites. These are really more like profiles, all contained under your main account.
- If this is your first time using Google Analytics, click the Sign up button. This will take you to the New Account page.
If you already have used Google Analytics to track another site, you will need to create a new account. To create a new account, click on the Admin link in the top menu. In the Account column, select Create new account from the drop-down menu.
- On the New Account page, enter the Account Name. This is used to identify the analytics account from others you may have. Enter the Website Name, Website URL and select your Reporting Time Zone.
- Click on Get Tracking ID.
- When the terms and conditions display, click I Accept.
- The next page contains your Tracking ID.
- Copy the Tracking ID that was generated when you created your new Google Analytics Account.
- Go to your Google Site you would like to track with this ID.
- On your site, click the More actions button and select Manage Site from the drop down menu.
- Scroll down to the Statistics section.
- Select Use Google Analytics.
- Enter your Tracking ID into the box.
- Click the Save button.
It can take up to 24 hours for Google Analytics to detect your tracking code. Once the code is detected, you will be able to review your web statistics when you log into Google Analytics and click on Reporting.