You are here
Google Groups: Request a Group
Google Groups, a tool for a team of users to quickly collaborate with one another either via email, or any of Google's various applications, is available with Google Apps for the University of Minnesota.
Google Groups is all about helping users connect with people, access information, and communicate effectively over email and on the web. With members of your team all in the same group, Google Groups makes it easy for sharing things like Google Calendars and Docs with one another.
Users are assigned roles that determine what he or she can do within a group. Participants subscribe to groups and participate in group discussions, and group managers create new groups and manage group members, discussions, and other settings.
There are four Group Formats available:
- Web Forum: An online forum where members of the group can post and reply to posts. A web forum is designed primarily to allow users to interact with the group through the web user interface. Initially, these forums have web-only features (e.g., tagging of posts) enabled. Users post topics through the web interface, but can receive updates via email as well.
- Q&A Forum: An online forum where questions can be posed and members can answer. A Question and Answer forum allows members to post questions and follow-up answers. Members can identify which answers are the best, and also mark questions they are interested in. As with web forums, users must post through the web interface, but are able to receive updates via email.
- Email List: An email service to contact large groups of people in a single email without exceeding Google's sending limits. An email list allows users to post from the web or through email. This is a mailing list group. It is the most common type of Google Group.
- Collaborative Inbox: An inbox shared by the Group so that multiple people can be responsible for response to emails. A collaborative inbox allows members of a group to manage the workflow state of topics within the group. These groups have specific features and permissions set. If you choose to not use these features, they will need to be disabled individually.
Groups may not be used:
- for unsolicited mass mailings;
- to promote commercial products, services, or organizations; or
- for purposes which violate University policies, local ordinances, or state or federal laws.
U of MN Google Apps users may request groups for official University groups and personal groups through the online request form available on the Google Apps site.
Requests are usually granted within one business day.
Note: Groups made through groups.umn.edu will not be managed by the University and will end with @googlegroups.com. You must use the request forms to receive an @umn.edu address.
Official University Groups
- Official University group requests can only be made by University staff and faculty, to conduct University business.
- Request group by using the Official University Group Form.
Official University Course Groups
- Official University course groups can be requested by instructors and TAs.
- Official University Course Groups membership is based on University records and are updated at noon and 8pm everyday via a script.
- Adding people to the Group that are not on the Official Course List can be added by OIT upon request (contact the HelpDesk).
- Docs and Google calendars can be shared with students enrolled in a course.
- Request group by using the Official University Course Group Form.
- Personal groups are available to everyone at the University, and can be used for any number of reasons, including study groups, social clubs or family lists.
- Request group by using the Personal Group Form.
Listserv Mailing List Conversion
- If you currently manage a ListServ mailing list, you may request to convert the mailing list into a Google Group. Request the Google group by using the Official University Group Form and selecting the Listserv Conversion option.
- It is possible to add members to your existing Google group. This service is available to group managers, who want to add a large number of members - greater than 50 - to their Google group.
- Contact staff at Technology Help and submit a request with a list of the users to add.
- Please be sure to include the whole Group Name.
- Note: once the conversion to the Google Group is finished, the previous address (email@example.com) becomes inactive.
After you have received confirmation that your group has been created, you can manage your group. To access your groups, go to groups.umn.edu or go to your University Gmail account and click on the Apps Launcher, then select Groups.