MATLAB (The MathWorks)
MATLAB is a high-level language and interactive environment that enables you to perform computationally intensive tasks faster than with traditional programming languages such as C, C++, and Fortran.
Students, staff, and faculty that hold a paid license with OIT may install Matlab on more than one computer or device as long as they are the only Matlab users of each device. MATLAB may be installed to run standalone or online, and additionally for University-owned computers, as a concurrent license using a license server.
ALL available Matlab toolboxes are included in our agreement. This links to the full list of products available for use through the Matlab contract that OIT holds.
- Concurrent: OIT license server supports MATLAB 2021a and earlier
- Standalone license: latest release and earlier
- MATLAB Online: latest release
Purchase or Download
Purchase or Download
|Department For installation on a University-owned device||$150 for single user license. Department and college-wide licenses are also available. Paid for with departmental funds|
|Employee For installation on an employee's personal device||Not available|
|Student For installation on a student's personal device||
University-funded: No charge for students in participating colleges
Academic discount for other students Paid by student
Instructions for Staff, Faculty & Departments
Many University of Minnesota colleges and departments participate in a college- or department-wide license agreement.
- Check the list below. If you are in one of these units, contact your department technology support office.
- If they are unable to assist you, email the name of your department to [email protected] and we will send you your departmental contact information.
- If you are not in a participating unit, you can purchase a license on the UMN Kivuto Store site.
- Science & Engineering
- Division of Science & Math
- College of Biological Sciences
- College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences
- College of Liberal Arts: CLA staff please email [email protected] to get your software.
- College of Science & Engineering
- Brain Sciences Center
- Institute of Child Development
- Kinesiology & Leisure Studies
- Minnesota Supercomputer Institute
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Staff and faculty who want to use MATLAB for personal non-education purposes should contact The Mathworks directly to obtain pricing and purchase options.
Instructions for Students
Students in Participating Colleges
If you are a currently enrolled student in one of the below colleges, your college had purchased MATLAB for you. You can find out how to obtain the software on your college's Matlab webpage:
- UMTC CFANS Students
- UMTC CSE Students
- UMD Swenson College Students - Students who need to download MATLAB for their course should contact their instructor for instructions.
The MATLAB license expires yearly on December 31. If you are still enrolled at that time, log back into your college MATLAB page to obtain your new Activation Key for the following year.
Students in Other Colleges
All other UMN students enrolled in at least one credit can purchase a Matlab license from OIT. All licenses expire December 31, regardless of when purchased throughout the year.
- Go to the Kivuto Store site.
- If you are not already signed in, sign in with your UMN internet ID and password.
- Purchase MATLAB with a credit card or PayPal account.
Before you purchase a toolbox you can download and use it in a trial basis. In addition to requesting a quote, we suggest that you tell our Mathworks representative what you want to use the toolbox for in case there is another way you can achieve your outcome.
Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions
General Technology Products Terms & Conditions apply to this software license. If additional terms and conditions apply to this item, they will be listed below.
License at a Glance
- Available for purchase by all colleges, departments, faculty, staff and students in the UMN system
- Access at home and in the classroom, in lab and field research, and off-network
- Includes use of Matlab, Simulink, and all available toolboxes.
- Matlab Academy offers free training to learn MATLAB in just two hours
- Matlab Online provides access from a web browser
- Once your order is processed we will sign you up for a MathWorks account if you don't already have one. You will be sent an e-mail from The MathWorks asking you to confirm your e-mail address. You will then be able to log in and download your software.
- ISO images, which are generally requested for computer lab installations, will be made available on request.
- Any staff or faculty member using MATLAB on the OIT concurrent server off campus must be logged into VPN.
Academic discount for departments and students in participating units
Academic discount for other students