Canvas: Add Kaltura Videos to Media Galleries
Audience: Faculty, Staff and Students
Media Galleries are areas to post, view, and search Kaltura videos related to specific courses in Canvas.
Only people enrolled in the Canvas course have access to a course site's Media Gallery. Users may view and search video content in Media Galleries.
When captions are added to videos in the Media Gallery, the text becomes searchable. This allows users to access videos using specific language - a feature that can be used for content review purposes.
Media Galleries appear in Canvas. In the course menu, many courses have a Media Gallery link. Media galleries may be turned on or off. See additional resources for more information about Kaltura course tools and how to add a Media Gallery.
Roles in Canvas:
- Teachers/TAs/Designers can post videos to Media Galleries. Instructors can approve student postings to a Media Gallery.
- Students can post to Media Galleries if instructors approve the media or modify the course settings to allow posts without review.
Adding Videos to Kaltura Media Galleries
- Open a browser and go to Canvas (canvas.umn.edu). You may need to sign in.
- Find your media gallery:
- Select the Courses icon in the left navigation bar. All of your available courses will appear.
- Select the course you want.
- Select Media Gallery from the course navigation menu.
- Select the Add Media button.
- Select the checkbox next to the video you want to add, then select Publish.
- After selecting Publish:
- Teachers: The page updates with the message "All media was published successfully."
- Students: Depending on the settings in the media gallery, the page updates with one of two messages:
- “All media was published successfully.”
- “All media was published successfully. Note that your media will not be listed until a moderator approves it.”
- After selecting Publish:
- When finished processing, the video will appear in the Media Gallery listing.
Importing a Media Gallery from Another Canvas Course
You can import a Media Gallery from one Canvas course into another course site. This feature is helpful when importing course content from one semester to another. You need to be enrolled as an instructor in the Canvas course site that you are importing to and from before you can follow the instructions below:
- Go to the new course site that you want to import a Media Gallery into.
- Select Media Gallery in the course navigation menu.
- Click on the Channel Action menu and select Import from the dropdown menu. A box with a list of courses that you have access to Media Galleries will appear.
- Select the course with the Media Gallery you wish to import and click Import. A message saying that the import has begun should appear for a few seconds and then disappear. Gear icons in the top right corner will move as the import continues. The larger the gallery, the longer the import will take.
Once the Media Gallery is imported successfully, a green text box will confirm that it has been successfully imported and instruct you to "Click Here" to refresh the page. The page will reload, and the imported media will appear in the Media tab.
- Canvas: Adding Kaltura Course Tools to Canvas
- Use this link to find out how to add a media gallery to your Canvas Course.
- Kaltura: View and Search Videos in Media Galleries
- Use this link to learn about the Search feature in Canvas Kaltura.
- Kaltura: Closed Captioning Process Overview
- Use this link to learn more about the ways to improve your videos with captions.