Hold meetings, office hours, study groups, and webinars online.
What is Zoom?
Zoom is an online video conferencing system. It features meeting and webinar capabilities, along with real-time messaging and content sharing. Zoom's predecessor, Webex, will be retired on September 2, 2019. Learn more about the transition to Zoom | Compare Zoom and Google Hangouts Meet
- Students, faculty, and staff can host meetings for up to 300 people.
- Faculty and staff can host webinars for up to 500 people.
- Students, faculty, and staff who are part of the HCC (Health Care Component) will be assigned to a modified instance of Zoom, in order to preserve best practices around Protected Health Information.
Note: If you are part of the HCC, you will need to take a very brief training before you can access your Zoom account. Access this training by going to zoom.umn.edu and clicking Log In.
- An accessible interface
- Automatic captioning
- Breakout rooms
- Polls, collaborative screen annotation, chat, and more
Integration into Canvas
A faculty member, instructor, or staff member requested that this tool be integrated into Canvas.
- April 30, 2019
Past phase: Technical Review
Past phase: Initial Review
Current phase: Integration Underway
Set up Canvas, develop training
Future phase: Integrated
If not available to you, request this tool for your course or unit.
- Information Not Available