The Final Grade Override option allows instructors to enter a final grade for students that is different from the grade Canvas automatically calculates in the Gradebook. After you have overridden a grade, the student will see only the override grade in their Grades, not the originally calculated score. The scores for all course work will remain as is in the Gradebook.
This article is part of the Prepare and Submit Grades to Faculty Center/PeopleSoft self-help guide. See this guide for all steps to preparing and submitting final grades.
Using Final Grade Override
- Navigate to the Canvas course in which you'd like to override a course grade.
- Select Grades.
- Click the Settings (gear) icon.
- Select the Advanced  tab.
- Check the box Allow final grade override .
- Click Apply Settings  to save.
The Override column will appear at the far right side of the Gradebook.
- In the Override column, enter the Override grade as a percentage value (Override Score) or letter grade.
- If you enter a letter grade, the student's final percentage score will be set to the lower boundary for the grade entered in the course grading scheme.
- If you enter a score, the final score will be exactly as entered and the final grade will be determined by the course grading scheme.
Note: To delete an overridden grade, click the grade cell and click the Delete key.