Canvas: Final Grade Override
The Final Grade Override allows instructors to enter a final grade for students that is different from the grade automatically calculated by Canvas in the Gradebook.
After a grade has been overridden, the student will only see the override grade in the gradebook. The scores for all course work will remain as is, in the gradebook. The original calculated score and grade will not be visible to the student.
To enable the Final Grade Override feature and override calculated course grades:
- Navigate to the Canvas course in which you'd like to override the course grade.
- In the course navigation menu, select Grades.
- In the Gradebook, click the Settings (gear) icon.
- In the Settings window, select the Advanced tab. Check the box Allow final grade override  and click Update  to save.
- The Override column will appear at the far right side of the Gradebook.
The Override grade can be entered in the form of percentage value (Override Score) or letter grade into the Override column.
- If you enter a letter grade, the final percentage score for the student will be set to the lower boundary for the entered grade in the course grading scheme.
- If you enter a score, the final score will be exactly as entered and the final grade will be determined by course grading scheme.
- To delete an overridden grade, click the grade cell and click the Delete key.
If you submit final grades from Canvas into PeopleSoft via a .csv file, you will need to update your final grade column with the Override grade value.
If you are using the Send Grades to PeopleSoft tool the Overridden grade will be flagged in the application with an asterisk and the message "Final grade overridden in the gradebook." The grade will be included with the other final grades in the gradebook that are sent to PeopleSoft/Faculty Center.