Microsoft Office is a suite of interrelated desktop applications, servers, and services.
Office 2016 for Mac is no longer supported, you must upgrade to Office 2019 or Office 365; Office 365 FAQs.
Office for Windows suite includes:
Office for Mac suite includes:
Purchase or Download
Purchase or Download
|Department For installation on a University-owned device||University-funded: No charge|
|Employee For installation on an employee's personal device||University-funded: No charge|
|Student For installation on a student's personal device||University-funded: No charge|
All UMN owned devices are allowed to install Office 365 and in some instances Office 2019.
- Office 365 is available in Software Center for Windows devices and Self Service for Mac devices.
- Find out more in Office 365 FAQs.
- If you require Office 2019, or older versions of Office, contact Technology Help.
Employees and Students
Microsoft Office 365 Pro Plus is available to current University of Minnesota employees, and to students enrolled in at least one course credit. Office 365 is not available to Emeritus Faculty, other retired faculty or staff, contract employees, or temporary staff.
- Follow the instructions on Microsoft Office 365 Pro Plus: For Faculty, Staff & Students Personally Owned Devices.
- If you require an Office 365 product not included in our offering (see below), you can sign up for them with a personal account, however those will not be supported by the University.
- If you do create your own account for any Microsoft product for personal use, do not use your UMN email address. Use a personal email address provided by Google, Yahoo, etc. Using your @umn.edu email address could cause conflicts between what you want to use and what we have or have not included in our license.
Our distribution of Office 365 Pro Plus includes:
- Current versions of Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook on all operating systems
- Installation allowed on up to five devices
- Support for Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad (requires a Microsoft account), and Android and Windows phones
UMN has not activated:
- Power BI (Premium license that allows sharing is not free)
- Lync for Enterprise (Skype for Business)
- Any add-ins for Offices 365
Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions
General Technology Products Terms & Conditions apply to this software license. If additional terms and conditions apply to this item, they will be listed below.
Through the Microsoft Enrollment for Education Solution (EES) Program, this software may be used on any computer that is owned by the University of Minnesota.
Under the Home Use Program, UMN staff and faculty employees may acquire a licensed copy of Office for Windows or Mac at the same level that UMN has licensed for UMN-owned computers.
- Staff must receive a paycheck from the University of Minnesota to participate.
- You may install and use the software on a home computer.
- This software can be used for both work and personal purposes.
- You may continue using the software while you are under employment at the University of Minnesota and as long as the corresponding software you use at work has active Software Assurance coverage. Should the University decide to NOT renew the Microsoft contract for Office, communications will be sent out U-wide.
- Should you leave your position at UMN for any reason it is your responsibility to remove the software from your computer. By ordering the software you are agreeing to abide by this guideline. You are entering into a contract directly with Microsoft, not with a department at the University of Minnesota.
If you are no longer employed at UMN you can still obtain Office through any number of resellers (online or in person at a store that sells software).
See the full Home Use Program Terms of Service.
Students must be enrolled in credit courses at the University of Minnesota to participate in the Office 365 Pro Plus license.
University-funded: No charge for departments, employees, and students
Try Google Apps
Although the University has Office products, the University also provides Google Docs, which provide most of the same functionality as Office, to all students, staff and faculty. Google Docs integrate seamlessly with UMN's email system, Gmail.