WiFi: Guest Access
"UofM-Guest" WiFi Network
Guests on campus may use the UofM-Guest network at no charge. Recent efforts have increased the bandwidth and capacity of this network, but the network has no encryption. As the name implies, UofM-Guest is a network for guests to the University that need to connect to the Internet, but do not yet have University accounts.
University Students, Staff, & Faculty
University employees and students should log in to the eduroam network with their full University of Minnesota email address and password.
Contractors, visiting scholars without Internet accounts, and other non staff that need prolonged internet access can have accounts sponsored by a University of Minnesota staff member. The account sponsor can request the account through the University Account Self-Service page.
Other Options for Guest Access
Presenters, conference attendees, and other official University guests should use conference accounts to access the fastest and most secure network on campus, eduroam. A University of Minnesota staff member will need to request these accounts.
Note: IT@UMN has discontinued the service by which guests can sponsor themselves by purchasing a wireless account with a credit card.
1. On your device, navigate to the area where you can view all WiFi networks that are in range.
2. Select UofM-Guest from the list of available WiFi networks.
3. A web browser will automatically open to a network authentication page. This page explains the terms and conditions you agree to by using the guest WiFi.
-If it does not automatically open:
1. Open a web browser (e.g., Safari, Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer).
2. Your web browser will direct you to a login page.
-If the browser opens to a security warning:
1. Click Advanced
2. Click the option to proceed anyway
5. Click Connect as guest
If you still cannot connect, contact Technology Help through any of the means found at it.umn.edu/help.