Duo: Use Duo While Traveling Internationally
This article applies to international employees as well as traveling students, faculty, and staff. You can use Duo authentication when traveling internationally*, even without WiFi or cellular service. You will need passcodes in order to authenticate your identity. There are two preferred methods for getting passcodes:
- Use Duo Mobile while you travel
- Generate passcodes before you travel
Passcodes used through either method will be one-time-use codes.
If you already own a hardware token or a U2F Security Key, you may also use those while traveling. If a staff or faculty member would like a hardware token mailed to them, IT will send it to their department. The department will be responsible for mailing the token to the user.
*If you are traveling to a U.S. embargoed country, you may not use Duo. Read the Duo in embargoed countries disclaimer. For additional help, contact your supervisor, Technology Help, or the International Student Support Service.
Use the Duo Mobile App while you travel
You can generate a new passcode through the app each time you need to log in to a Duo-protected application when traveling. The Duo Mobile App will generate a passcode anywhere, even if you do not have internet connection or can't get cellular service.
- Make sure that you have already downloaded the free Duo Mobile App and enrolled your mobile device in Duo.
- Open the Duo Mobile App on your smartphone.
- Tap the caret (or key icon) to see a University of Minnesota passcode.
See Use the Duo Mobile App for more information on how to authenticate using the the mobile app.
Generate multiple codes before you travel
If you do not use the Duo Mobile App or would like to have some extra codes on hand, you can generate ten codes before you travel. The codes will expire in 1 year (365 days), whether you use them or not.
- Go to my-account.umn.edu .
- If prompted, enter your internet ID and password, or authenticate with Duo.
- Select the Duo Security menu from the left-hand sidebar.
- Select Generate Duo bypass codes.
- Your codes will appear on the screen and will be emailed to your University account; you may print them out if you choose.
Keep track of which codes you have used, so you can use your tenth code to request more. Any unused passcodes will still expire after 1 year (365 days). If you have already used nine passcodes, request ten more by repeating the above steps.
Authenticating in Duo with Passcodes
- Go to the Duo-protected application.
- If prompted, enter your internet ID and password; click Sign In.
- On the Duo authentication page, click Enter a Passcode.
- Enter one of the bypass codes you received in the passcode box, and select Log In
You should now have access to the application on your computer. If you encounter issues attempting to authenticate with Duo abroad, contact Technology Help for assistance.