Canvas: Add Kaltura Videos to Media Galleries
Audience: Faculty, Staff and Students
Media Galleries are areas to post, view, and search Kaltura videos related to specific courses in Canvas.
- Only people enrolled in the Canvas course have access to a course site's Media Gallery. Users may view and search video content in Media Galleries.
- Media Galleries appear in Canvas. In the course menu, many courses have a Media Gallery link. Media galleries may be turned on or off. If you do not see it in your course navigation area, see Add Kaltura Tools to Canvas for instructions to have Media Galleries turned on in your course site.
- When captions are added to videos in the Media Gallery, the text becomes searchable. This allows users to access videos using specific language - a feature that can be used for content review purposes.
In this article:
- Roles in Canvas
- Adding Videos to Kaltura Media Galleries
- Importing a Media Gallery from Another Canvas Course
- Additional Resources
- Teachers/TAs/Designers can post videos to Media Galleries. Instructors can approve student postings to a Media Gallery.
- Students can post to Media Galleries if instructors approve the media or modify the course settings to allow posts without review.
- Open a browser and go to Canvas (canvas.umn.edu). You may need to sign in.
- Find your media gallery:
- Select the Courses icon in the left navigation bar.
- Select the course you want.
- Select Media Gallery from the course navigation menu.
- Select the Add Media button.
- Select the checkbox next to the video you want to add, then select Publish.
- After selecting Publish:
- Teachers: The page updates with the message "All media was published successfully."
- Students: Depending on the settings in the media gallery, the page updates with one of two messages:
- "All media was published successfully."
- "All media was published successfully. Note that your media will not be listed until a moderator approves it."
- After selecting Publish:
- When finished processing, the video will appear in the Media Gallery listing.
You can import a Media Gallery from one Canvas course into another course site. This feature is helpful when importing course content from one semester to another. You need to be enrolled as an instructor in the Canvas course site that you are importing to and from before you can follow the instructions below:
- Go to the new course site that you want to import a Media Gallery into.
- Select Media Gallery in the course navigation menu.
- Click on the Channel Action menu and select Import from the dropdown menu. A box with a list of courses that you have access to Media Galleries will appear.
- Select the course with the Media Gallery you wish to import and click Import. A message saying that the import has begun should appear for a few seconds and then disappear. Gear icons in the top right corner will move as the import continues. The larger the gallery, the longer the import will take.
Once the Media Gallery imports successfully, a green confirmation text box appears. Imported media appears in the Media tab.
- Add Media from Kaltura Using the Rich Content Editor
- Adding Kaltura Course Tools to Canvas
- View and Search Videos in Media Galleries
- Kaltura Closed Captioning Process Overview