Kaltura: Automatic Captions for Languages Other Than English
Videos are presumed to be in English and captions are processed based on the audio track. If you (the owner) or a co-editor wish to reprocess a video in Kaltura in a language other than English, Kaltura provides captioning services for over 15 additional lanuages.
Use this article to reprocess automatic captions in Kaltura for a language other than English. To receive captioning for a language not listed, Learn About Professional Captioning.
Requesting Automatic Speech Recognition Captions
- Go to Canvas (canvas.umn.edu) and sign in.
- Find your media in Canvas My Media:
- Select the Courses icon in the left navigation bar.
- Select the course you want.
- Select My Media from the course navigation menu. If the My Media link is not shown, the course's owner can add it by following the instructions in Adding Kaltura Course Tools to Canvas.
- Find the video you want to add a caption file to and select your title located to the right of the video.
- Click the Actions drop-down menu below the video on the right side.
- Select Caption & Enrich.
- Select the desired language from the Source Media Language drop-down menu.
- Make sure the Service drop-down menu has Mechanical - auto-generated (free) selected.
- Make sure the Feature drop-down menu has Captions selected.
- Click Submit. The page refreshes with a confirmation: