Kaltura: Professional Captioning
In Kaltura, professional captioning is an optional service. It is billed to the next minute and costs $100 per hour of content in English. When content is in other languages it is $190 per hour of content, with the output being the same language as the source.
Translation from one language to another is not an option. Supported languages include Arabic, Chinese (Cantonese and Mandarin), Dutch, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Thai and Turkish.
- The turnaround time for professional captions in English is less than two business days, while captions from other supported languages can take three business days or more.
In this article:
- Requesting a Billing Relationship
- Requesting Professional Captions in Canvas Kaltura
- Additional Resources
Requesting a Billing Relationship
Before requesting professional captions for content housed in the Kaltura media management platform, you must submit the Kaltura Professional Captioning Billing Information Form.
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) cannot approve professional captioning requests until you have filled out the form above and shared your Enterprise Financial System (EFS) billing information.
Requesting Professional Captions in Kaltura
Note: As explained in the previous section, you must establish a billing relationship with OIT in order for your professional captioning requests to be approved.
- Open a browser and go to Canvas (canvas.umn.edu). You may need to sign in.
- Find your media:
- Select the Courses icon in the left navigation bar. All of your available courses will appear.
- Select the course you want.
- Select My Media from the course navigation menu. If the My Media link is not shown, the course's owner can add it by following the instructions in Adding Kaltura Course Tools to Canvas.
- Find the video you want to add a caption file to and select your title located to the right of the video.
- Click the Actions drop-down menu below the video on the right side.
- Select Caption Requests.
- In the Service drop-down menu, select Professional - human generated ($$).
- In the Source Media Language drop-down menu, select the desired language.
- Make sure the Feature drop-down menu has Captions selected.
- In the Turnaround Time drop-down menu, choose either Best Effort or 48 hours.
- Click Submit. The page will refresh with a confirmation:
Your request is now submitted to OIT for review and approval!
OIT consultants may contact you before approving a request, and will contact you once the request is complete. Professional captions in English may take up to two business days, and professional captions in languages other than English may take three business days or more.