Google Team Drive
Organize files and folders for your team
Google Team Drive is a shared space where teams can easily store, search, and access their files anywhere, from any device.
Files in Team Drive belong to the team instead of an individual. Even if members leave, the files stay exactly where they are so your team can continue to share information and get work done.
- Files are owned by the team, not by an individual.
- All members of a Team Drive see the same content, which makes permissions easy to manage.
- When a user is added to a Google Group, they’re automatically added to all the Team Drives that include that group.
- This can make onboarding and offboarding team members easier.
- You can add external users to a Team Drive.
- Can Share Individual Files with any user, not restricted to Team Drive members.
- While in the Early Adopter phase new Team Drives can only be created by administrators (see Google Team Drive Creation Request form under “Get Help”).
- Certain actions that can be done in Google Drive, such as folder level Sharing, reduction of access, etc. are not available within Team Drive.
- Offline access to files from Team Drives is only available with Google File Stream, cannot be done with Google Drive Sync or Backup and Sync.
- Google File Stream is also currently only available by request and only Windows OS users, due to known conflict with Macs and anti-virus software.