Canvas: Getting Started for Instructors
We recommend the following steps for those who are just getting started with Canvas at the University of Minnesota.
Step 1: Explore Canvas
- Log in to Canvas. If you are teaching a course, you will see your auto-generated unpublished course sites. Learn more about unpublished course sites.
- Request a development site to explore Canvas and try out its features. You can develop your course and easily import it into your upcoming semester’s unpublished course site when ready.
Step 2: Start Building Your Site
Note: You may have academic technologists in your unit who can assist with the course design and development process.
- Option 1: Import content from an existing Canvas site.
- Option 2: Build from scratch.
You can start fresh and build from scratch. To help you get started we have a number of helpful resources:
- Option 3: Build using a template.
Units from across UMN have established pre-built templates that can be used to provide a general framework for creating a usable and well-designed site.
- Option 4: Import content from a Moodle site.
If you have an existing Moodle site, you can import content from Moodle. Note: Some Moodle tools will not transfer to Canvas. Learn more about how Moodle activities and resources migrate into Canvas.
Step 3: Publish Your Course Site
- Once finalized, your course site needs to be published so enrolled students can find and access it.
- Notify your students (optional)