Box: Transfer data when leaving the University

According to the Research Data Management Policy, the University of Minnesota owns all data created by faculty, staff, and non-student trainees or fellows, unless indicated in specific sponsorship or contractual agreements. If a PI leaves the University, they can request a transfer of their research data to their new institution. 

Leaving and want to keep your data with the University? You can edit Collaborator permissions to make someone else the Owner of your folder. If you are in a department and need access to a folder of someone who recently left contact Technology Help to get assistance.

Students generally own their data, unless it was acquired in the course of their employment with the University, with significant University resources, or are under specific contracts or agreements that specify otherwise. When students leave the University, they can take their data with them.

Last modified