Box: Change the Owner of a Folder
There are two ways to change or transfer folder ownership to another collaborator. Through the Collaborators menu in the right pane of a folder or from the Collaborators page of a folder. If your folder only has a few collaborators the Collaborators menu will probably work best. If you have a long list of collaborators and you need to find a specific one you may want to use the Collaborators page.
Some things to consider:
- To change or transfer folder ownership, you must be the owner of the folder.
- Once ownership is changed, the collaborator you designate will be the new Owner of the folder and your access level will be downgraded to Editor. The contents of the folder will no longer count against your account's storage allowance.
- If you want to transferring a private (yellow) folder, you will first need to invite the other person as a collaborator to this folder before you can you transfer ownership.
- Large folders (containing 10KB files or more) may cause the transfer to time out. If you experience any issues please contact Technology Help.
- Open the folder. You will see a list of Collaborators in the right pane. If you are the owner, the word Owner will appear under your name.
- Find the collaborator you want to give ownership to.
- Click on the button to Change collaborator permission.
- Select Owner from the drop-down.
- Click Okay to confirm the change.
- Click on the folder you own.
- You will see a list of Collaborators in the right pane. If you are the owner, you will notice that you are designated as the Owner for this folder.
- Click the collaborator's name to to view all the collaborators in this folder.
- Under Permissions, Click the role (access level) and a drop-down will be displayed. Click on Owner.
- A pop up will be displayed confirming your action and letting you know the implications of this action. To confirm the change click Okay.