Foster student success with Learning Online 101
As faculty and instructors adapt to online and blended learning due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it's also important that students are prepared to be successful online learners.
Setting clear expectations for what you want learners to know and do throughout your online course will help your course proceed more smoothly.
Assign Learning Online 101, a self-paced course for students, that prepares them for technical and academic success in online and hybrid courses. The course touches on self-motivation, time management, technical skills, and available student support including advice directly from UMN faculty and students, which all contribute to greater success in online classes. Learning Online 101 prepares students to meet these challenges and typically takes 2-4 hours to complete. Here’s the Learning Online 101 outline.
Tips for Incorporating Learning Online 101 into Your Course
- Ask students to complete the Learning Online 101 course in your introductory email and highlight modules, topics, or technology they should pay special attention to for your class.
- Share the Learning Online 101 student self-enrollment link (z.umn.edu/LearningOnline101) in your Start Here or Getting Started module as a resource.
- Create an assignment (either required or extra credit) and have students submit the "Certificate of Completion" from the Learning Online 101 course along with a brief reflection of tips they want to keep in mind during the semester.
- Use a Discussion forum to prompt students to share their main takeaways from the course.
- Request that students share a Kaltura video introducing themselves and their 'why' for being in college.
- Have students submit one of the student activity ‘workouts’ suggested during the Learning Online 101 course.
Learning Online 101: Student ‘workouts’
There are ‘workouts’ or optional activities for students to complete through the course. Instructors can ask students to focus on one (or all) of these ‘workouts’ in order to reflect or practice for online classes.
- Online Readiness Self-Assessment
- Share your why (Simon Sinek video 5 min)
- Canvas Account profile
- Supplement with Name Coach name pronunciation
- Google Doc Workout
- Add a Heading; Customize Font; Add Picture; Add Comment; Add a hyperlink
- Kaltura Video Workout
- Zoom Workout - Start a meeting
- Turn in the certificate of completion for the Academic Integrity course
Learning Online 101 helps your students come to class ready to learn on day one.