LabVIEW (National Instruments)
LabVIEW is a graphical programming environment used by engineers and scientists to develop measurement, test, and control systems using graphical icons and wires that resemble a flowchart.
Purchase or Download
Purchase or Download
|Department For installation on a University-owned device||$200–1,500 for UMTC departments Paid for with departmental funds|
|Employee For installation on an employee's personal device||Not available|
|Student For installation on a student's personal device||No charge for the license expiring on 9/28/2022, check here later for renewal options|
Instructions for Departments
College of Science and Engineering (CSE)
CSE has paid for a college-wide LabView license for its faculty and staff.
Email csehelp.umn.edu to request access to the LabView installer(s) and serial number(s).
Other Twin Cities Colleges and Departments
Full (annual) and prorated (six-month) licenses are available for single users and department- or college-wide use.
- Order licenses on the UMN Kivuto Store site.
- See a list of the software included in the LabVIEW Teaching and Research Large site license.
- If you want to try LabVIEW out first, a download a seven day trial.
Home usage is allowed under our National Instruments LabView Concurrent License. See the Terms and Conditions section for details.
Other University of Minnesota Campus Departments
Departments not on the Twin Cities campus can purchase licenses directly from National Instruments.
Instructions for Employees
University of Minnesota employees can purchase licenses directly from National Instruments for personal use.
If you use the software exclusively for UMN Twin Cities-related teaching, learning, or research and you want to install it on a personally owned device, follow the Instructions for Departments above.
Instructions for Students
Twin Cities Campus Undergraduates
UMTC undergraduate students enrolled in at least 1 credit can purchase a LabVIEW license at a discounted price on the UMN Kivuto Store site.
The license includes:
- LabVIEW Student Edition
- LabVIEW Control Design and Simulation Module
- LabVIEW MathScript RT Module
- LabVIEW Module for LEGO® MINDSTORMS®
- LabVIEW System Identification Toolkit
- LabVIEW Digital Filter Design Toolkit
- LabVIEW Modulation Toolkit
- LabVIEW SignalExpress
- NI Vision Development Module
- NI Vision Acquisition Software
- NI DIAdem Student Edition
- NI LabVIEW Real-Time Module
- NI LabVIEW FPGA Module
- LabVIEW Database and Supervisory Control Module
- LabVIEW Mobile Module
- LabVIEW PID and Fuzzy Logic Toolkit
- LabVIEW Robotics Module
- LabVIEW Simulation Interface Toolkit
- LabVIEW SoftMotion
- LabVIEW Statechart Module
- Motion Control and Motion Assistant
Students on Other Campuses
Students not enrolled in UMTC courses can purchase licenses directly from National Instruments.
Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions
General Technology Products Terms & Conditions apply to this software license. If additional terms and conditions apply to this item, they will be listed below.
Home usage by Twin Cities campus employees is allowed under our National Instruments LabView Concurrent License:
As long as a license is purchased and current from OIT, an individual who is a primary user of a single UMN owned computer on which the LabView software is installed and used may also install and use the LabView software on one (1) computer located in such user′s home, provided that
- (i) the use of the software is pursuant to one of these licenses; concurrent use license, or academic research license; and
- (ii) the use of the LabView software on such home computer is limited to work performed in the scope of such person′s employment with the University of Minnesota and complies with all terms and conditions of the signed Agreement.
The LabView software must be promptly uninstalled from the individual’s home computer upon the termination of the designated individual’s employment, the non renewal of the license to use the software with OIT or the termination of the National Instruments LabView Agreement (whichever is earlier).
Additionally, under a single users license the software may be installed on up to three (3) computers, as long as the software is used on one computer at a time:
- Primary work computer
- Home computer
- Lab or second work computer
No charge for CSE departments
Academic discount from UMN for Twin Cities campus departments and students
Full (annual) and prorated (six month) licenses are available.
Since LabVIEW is a native Windows application, National Instruments strongly urges Mac users to install a product such as Bootcamp and use the Windows version of LabVIEW through their Windows partition.