UMN Gmail: Using Google Takeout Transfer After a Domain Change
The University of Minnesota does not automatically transfer email and Google Drive documents after a campus domain change. In order to accomplish this, you will be required to utilize Google Takeout Transfer to move your email and the contents of your Google Drive.
If you are a member of the medical field, or work with FERPA data or PHI, Takeout will not work. Please email [email protected] and request an email transfer.
- Open a private browsing window in your Web Browser. Browser-specific instructions on opening private browsing windows can be found here:
- Navigate to https://takeout.google.com/transfer in the new private browsing window
- Sign in using the email address associated with your old campus:
- Enter your NEW email address in the Destination Account field and click the Send Code button at the Google "Transfer Your Content" page
Note: Leave this window/tab open, as you will return to it shortly
- In the top right corner of the Takeout/transfer web page, there is an account management menu. Click on the button marked with either your Google Profile Picture, or the first letter of your first name. In the menu that opens up, click add account.
- This will open a new window with a Google sign in prompt. Enter your NEW UMN Google Account email address.
- Open the email that was sent in step 4 and click on the Get Confirmation Code button.
- Save the confirmation code
- Return to the Takeout/Transfer webpage and enter the confirmation code into the "Enter Code" field and click the "Verify" button
- Select the content (Google Drive, Google Mail) you wish to transfer and click the "Start Transfer" button when ready
- Complete - your data will now be transferred. However, it will not be instantaneous. The amount of time it will take will depend on the amount of data being transferred. It could be done instantaneously or take as long as a week. You will receive an email when the process is done. In the mean time, you can access your email by logging into your old campus email.
The amount of time that it takes the transfer to complete will depend on the amount of data being transferred.
What Will be Transferred:
- Emails, labels and sub-labels in Gmail
- Files in Folders in Google Drive that are OWNED by you
- Shared files that have been "Added to Drive" will be copied but the new file will NOT be shared with any collaborators from the original document automatically.
What will NOT Transfer:
- Email Filters and other settings
- Images stored under "Google Photos"
- "Shared with Me" Files that have NOT been "Added to Drive"
- Google Sites, Google Forms & MyMaps or other third party content in Drive