Duo: Generate and Use a Bypass Code
In some situations, you may not be able to use a mobile device to authenticate. For instance:
- You forgot your mobile device at home
- You need to work in an area with no cellular signal or WiFi signal (basement laboratory, etc.)
For these situations, you can pre-emptively generate a number of bypass codes to use, one at a time, for a period of 1 year (365 days). If you haven't generated bypass codes ahead of time, contact Technology Help. You will need to either visit a walk-in location with a photo ID or do a video call with Technology Staff.
Generating Bypass Codes
- From your computer browser, navigate to my-account.umn.edu.
- In the center window under the statement "Generate Duo Bypass Codes," click Submit.
The bypass codes will appear immediately in the center window of the screen.
- If you cannot log in, contact Technology Help.
This list of bypass codes will also be sent to you in an email. You can use each code one time when logging into a Duo-protected University application. If you are running low on codes, follow the steps above to generate another set of codes.
Using a Bypass Code to Authenticate
- Go to the application that you need to log into.
- If prompted, enter your internet ID and password, and Sign In.
- On the Duo authentication page, click Enter a Passcode.
- Enter one of the bypass codes you received in the passcode box and select Log In.