Canvas: VoiceThread Overview
A VoiceThread is a collaborative, multimedia slideshow that holds images, documents, and videos. It allows people to navigate between slides and leave audio, video, or text comments on each slide.
VoiceThread runs inside your web browser, so there is no software to download, install, or update.
Anyone with a University of Minnesota internet ID has a VoiceThread account.
Creating a VoiceThread Assignment in Canvas
- Select the Assignments link on the left side of the Canvas site homepage.
- On the Assignments page, select the +Assignments button on the upper-right part of the page.
- Name the assignment.
- Optional: You may also create a description of the assignment
- Set the number of points you want the assignment to be worth.
- The Display grades as setting must be set to Points, Percentage, or something else that involves a score. If it is set to Not Graded, the VoiceThread option will disappear.
- The number of points may be set to zero if this is not going to be graded.
- The Submission Type must be set to External Tool.
- Select the Find button in the Submission Type box.
- Then scroll down to VoiceThread, select it and click the Select button.
- Select the Save button at the bottom of the page.
You will then be taken to a new page titled VoiceThread Setup. This provides four options:
- Course View
- Individual VT
- Assignment Builder.
Select the one you want and proceed through VoiceThread in setting up your assignment.
Setting Up Your VoiceThread Link
You can set up your VoiceThread link with the following options:
Course view: all of the VoiceThreads that have been shared with your course
Individual VoiceThread: an individual VoiceThread you have created
VoiceThread Home: all of the person's VoiceThreads in a single view
VoiceThread assignment: require students to create a VoiceThread of their own to submit, comment on a VoiceThread you've created, or watch a VoiceThread start to finish
Viewing Student Submissions to Graded Assignments
Students create or select a VoiceThread to submit, record comments on your VoiceThread, or watch a VoiceThread. As soon as they submit the assignment, you will be able to grade their work.
Grading Student Work
View and grade student submissions. Grades will go to the Canvas gradebook.