Apple Device Management: Jamf Pro FAQ
What is Jamf Pro?
Jamf Pro, is a comprehensive management system for Apple macOS and iOS devices. With Jamf, IT Technicians can proactively manage the entire lifecycle of Apple devices. This includes deploying and maintaining software, responding to security threats, distributing settings, and analyzing inventory data.
If you would like to learn more about Jamf Pro, please visit jamf.com
What benefits does a client receive from Jamf Pro?
- Reliability: Your device will quickly receive software updates and patches with little to no interaction on your part.
- Time Efficiency: You will stay more productive as deployment and updating processes run in the background, freeing up more time for teaching and research.
- Flexibility: You can choose when and where to install new software or run maintenance on your device through the Self Service application.
- Security: IT Technicians will manage the security of your machine so you don't have to. You can rest assured that software patches, antivirus protection, and firewalls are well maintained.
What information does Jamf Pro Collect?
The OIT implementation of Jamf Pro has been customized to collect only the data needed to support macOS and iOS devices and for asset tracking. This information includes:
- Hardware Specifications
- Installed Applications
- Total Disk Space Usage
- Services Running
- Available Software Updates
- Local User Accounts and Login/Logout Timestamps
- Security Status (Firewall, SSH, etc)
- Primary User Information
- Campus Building Location
No personal information is collected, such as contents or names of personal files (documents, photos, music, email, etc.) or any browsing history.
How is my device enrolled in Jamf Pro?
All new Apple computers will be enrolled in Jamf Pro at the time of deployment. If your Apple computer is not currently enrolled in Jamf Pro, an IT technician will speak to you about enrolling it as part of another routine service call. If you would like to have your computer enrolled in Jamf Pro, please send an email to [email protected] to schedule a time for one of our technicians to enroll your device.
How can I tell if my device is enrolled in Jamf Pro?
To find out if your University of Minnesota owned Apple device is enrolled in Jamf Pro, please reference the appropriate instructions below:
What is Self Service?
The Self Service application is similar to the Apple App Store, but it provides customized content for University devices. This content includes access to software, printers, maintenance tasks, helpful links and other documentation. The Self Service app lets users install printers and software as needed without needing an administrative password.
For more information on using the Self Service Application please see Using the Self Service application on macOS computers
If you'd like to request software or settings be made available in Self Service please see Jamf Pro Software Requests
What changes does Jamf Pro make to my device?
Every computer enrolled in Casper will have the Self Service application installed, a default administrative account added, and standard applications installed and updated automatically.
There are additional changes that are made depending on the security level of your device.
For full details please see Changes made to Jamf Pro supported Apple Computers
Will I still have Administrative access to my Mac?
Administrator rights are removed on computers designated as High Security, in compliance with UIS security requirements.