Box: Access Levels for Collaborators
When inviting an internal or external user as a collaborator within a folder, you will have the ability to set the level of access that user has to your content. Refer to the following table to review the different permissions that accompany each access level:
|Co-Owner||Editor||Viewer Uploader||Previewer Uploader||Viewer||Previewer||Uploader|
|View / Add Comments*||X||X||X||X||X||X|
|Delete Files / Folders||X||X|
|Add / Edit Tags||X||X|
|Edit Folder Name||X||X|
|Edit Folder Settings||X|
|Send View-Only Links||X||X||X||X|
|View Items in Folder||X||X||X||X||X||X||X|
|Set Access Permissions||X||X|
|View Access Stats||X||X|
|Move / Copy||X||X|
*Comments can only be deleted by the folder owner or the creator of the comment.
Available Collaboration Levels
- Editor: An Editor has full read/write access to a folder. Once invited to a folder, they will be able to view, download, upload, edit, delete, copy, move, rename, generate, and edit shared links, make comments, assign tasks, create tags, and invite/remove collaborators. They will not be able to delete or move root level folders.
- Viewer: A Viewer has full read access to a folder. Once invited to a folder, they will be able to preview, download, make comments, and generate shared links. They will not be able to add tags, invite new collaborators, edit shared links, upload, edit or delete items in the folder.
- Previewer: A Previewer has limited read access. They will only be able to preview the items in the folder using the integrated content viewer. They will not be able to share, upload, edit, or delete any content.
- Uploader: An Uploader has limited write access. They will only be able to upload and see the names of the items in a folder. They will not able to download or view any content.
- Viewer Uploader: This access level is a combination of Viewer and Uploader. A Viewer Uploader has full read access to a folder and limited write access. They are able to preview, download, add comments, generate shared links, and upload content to the folder. They will not be able to add tags, invite new collaborators, or delete items in the folder.
- Note: Viewer Uploaders cannot modify file names or delete files. They can only edit files using Box Edit or the manual process of download, edit, and re-upload.
- Previewer Uploader: This access level is a combination of Previewer and Uploader. A Previewer Uploader has limited read and write access to a folder. They are able to preview, add comments, add tasks, and upload content to the folder. They will not be able to add tags, generate shared links, invite new collaborators, edit or delete items in the folder.
- Co-Owner: A Co-Owner has all of the functional read/write access that an Editor does. This permission level has the added ability of being able to manage users in the folder. A Co-Owner can add new collaborators, change access levels of existing collaborators, and remove collaborators. However, they will not be able to manipulate the Owner of the folder or transfer ownership to another user.