A standard data extension is a table within the application database that contains your data. Usually, the data you keep in a data extension relates to a subscriber but does not fit in the subscriber profile and preference attributes for one of a few reasons.
Use a data extension to contain your data that relates to subscribers but that doesn't fit into the subscriber attributes. With data extensions, you can:
- Import information from other systems into the Email application.
- Send a message to subscribers in a data extension.
- Exclude subscribers in a data extension from a message send.
- Include customer-specific information from a data extension in a message.
- Collect the subscriber information of people who trigger a triggered send.
- Create dynamic content in an email content area.