Zoom: Enable Recording Disclaimer
The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records and personally identifying information. Learn more by checking out Zoom's FERPA guide.
Privacy options within your Zoom settings include the ability to require students to acknowledge that recording will take place and they have been notified. Students can then opt out of the meeting, take extra privacy measures, and/or proceed.
As a host, you can send a Zoom recording acknowledgement to participants in your session. Make sure to discuss privacy options available to students prior to sending the FERPA acknowledgment and starting a recording.
To enable the Recording Disclaimer:
- Go to zoom.umn.edu and sign in if needed.
- Select Settings.
- Select Recording at the top of the Settings page.
- Find Recording Disclaimer.
- Make sure Recording Disclaimer is toggled On
- Make sure Ask participants for consent when a recording starts is checked.