WiFi: Register Your Chromecast Device
Devices like the Google Chromecast are designed for home networks. Connecting them to a complex enterprise network requires more steps. This article outlines the Chromecast setup steps for U of M residence hall use.
Important: You will need the MAC address of your Chromecast device to complete the registration process. Newer models do not list the MAC on the box or device. To find the MAC address, you will need to run through a partial setup and then register the MAC before completing the setup process.
- Registering your phone as an IoT device temporarily
- Starting the Chromecast configuration process
- Finding and registering your Chromecast MACAddress
- Completing the Chromecast configuration process
- Testing your Chromecast's connectivity
- Removing your phone's IoT registration
For setup, your Chromecast and phone need to be on the same WiFi network. To do that, your phone needs to be temporarily registered as an IoT device.
- Register Your Phone as an IoT Device following the steps outlined to register a streaming device for WiFi access.
- Download and install the Google Home app on your phone.
- Connect your phone to the UofM-Guest WiFi network.
- Note: While connected to the UofM-Guest, you won't have access to many U of M services that require central authentication. Those services require your device to use the eduroam network. After completing this process, return your phone to eduroam.
- Connect your Chromecast to a display, and make sure it is on.
- Open the Google Home app.
- Touch Set up 1 device.
- Choose your location.
- Touch Next. The app will now scan for your device. After scanning, the app will display your device.
- Touch Next. You'll see a code on your display and in the app.
- Touch Yes. You will see the room select area.
- Choose a room from the list.
- Touch Next to begin finding and registering your Chromecast Mac Address.
You will need to find and register your Chromecast Mac Address so you can complete the Chromecast Configuration process.
- Choose the UofM-Guest WiFi network.
- DO NOT touch Next.
- Touch the three dots in the upper right corner of the screen.
The screen refreshes.
- Touch Show MAC address
- Note the displayed MAC address.
- Use the MAC address displayed to register your Chromecast.
After your Chromecast is registered, you can complete the Chromecast configuration process.
- Resume the setup process.
- If you need to restart the process, go back to Starting the Chromecast Configuration Process.
- Select UofM-Guest.
- Touch Next. The Chromecast and Home app will link up.
- Touch Continue. The Almost done! page appears.
- Review your configuration on the Almost done! page.
- Touch Next.
- You may see a screen asking if you want to automatically share data, and crash reports with Google. Touch No thanks or Yes, I'm in depending on your preferences.
- Touch Finish.
Once you pass through the final acknowledgement screens and while your phone is still on the UofM-Guest WiFi network, connect to your Chromecast using an app like YouTube to display something.
When you're finished setting up your Chromecast, remove your phone's IoT registration.
- Navigate to the WiFi Registration webpage.
- Click on your phone's registration.
- Click Remove. A new box will appear below.
- Select Delete.
- Click Make Changes.
As mentioned in the warning in above, IoT devices will not be able to access any authenticated services such as email. Removing your phone from the IoT database will prevent accidental connection to the IoT network.