Proctorio: Student Guide
Students: Proctorio is a remote proctoring service that is used with some classes when you take quizzes and exams in Moodle or Canvas. Proctorio may record your webcam, your screen, or other actions during the exam session and share that information with your instructor.
- How Does it Work?
- How is my privacy protected?
- How Do I Prepare?
- Help and Troubleshooting
Proctorio requires the use of the Google Chrome web browser and you need to use/install the Proctorio extension (see “How do I prepare?”). Proctorio is active when you log in to the exam and is gone when you log out. During the exam, a system of computers captures your movements and sends your video and other data to your instructor for review. Proctorio will flag activity that might not be allowed. Your instructor will then be able to review the video and data to decide if any action is necessary.
Read information about how Proctorio handles student privacy and security.
- You need to use a regular computer (Windows/Mac computer or laptop). You cannot take the exams from mobile devices (e.g., iPhone, iPad, Android device, etc).You need a working webcam and microphone (depending on the options your instructor has selected)
- You must use the Google Chrome web browser & the Proctorio Extension.
- Install the Proctorio extension for Google Chrome. It takes less than 30 seconds. The exam that requires Proctorio will usually prompt you to install the extension if you need it.
- Have a photo ID card available. Depending on the settings your instructor has used for the exam you may be be asked to hold up your ID to document you are the test taker.
- Be ready for room scans. Again, depending on the settings on your exam Proctorio may ask you to do a room scan; turning your web camera in a 360 degree pan to look at the room. Proctorio may ask more than once if the program hears noises - the application is trying to ensure there is nobody else in the room.
Using Proctorio is fairly simple. Proctorio walks you through the process as you’re taking the exam, so you do not need to refer to any instructions while you’re using Proctorio. The best way to prepare is to practice! If your instructor has set up a practice exam be sure to take it so you are prepared.
- Click the shield icon in your web browser. See this 13-second Youtube video for details.
- Click Live Chat to connect with support personnel to get help.
- You can also call or email Proctorio Support: 1-877-687-6411 email@example.com
Sometimes you need to reinstall to update the extension. Remove it and reinstall it:
- Go to Customize and Control Google Chrome (three dots in the upper right of the browser) > More tools > Extensions
- Find the Proctorio extension and click the Remove from Chrome (trash can) icon.
- Go back to the quiz and it will prompt you to install of the extension.
You don’t need a password.
- Make sure you are using the Google Chrome web browser.
- Log out of all Google accounts. Close all Google Chrome browser windows, restart your computer and then go directly to your course site and do a fresh login with your UMN account ONLY (e.g., do not log in with a personal gmail account).
Check out the Proctorio Student Support Center for more information. You will need to be logged into Moodle or Canvas in order to access this support.