Proctorio: Student Guide
Students: Proctorio is a remote Proctoring Service used with some classes when you take quizzes and exams in Canvas. Proctorio may record your webcam, your screen, or other actions during the exam session and share that information with your instructor.
- How Does it Work?
- How is my privacy protected?
- How Do I Prepare?
- Help and Troubleshooting
Proctorio requires the use of the Google Chrome web browser and you must use/install the Proctorio extension as well (see “How do I prepare?”). Proctorio is active when you log in to the exam and is deactivated when you log out. During the exam, a system of computers captures your movements and sends your video and other data to your instructor for review. Proctorio will flag activity that might not be allowed. Your instructor will then be able to review the video and data to decide if any action is necessary.
Read information about how Proctorio handles student privacy and security.
- You need to use a regular computer (Windows/Mac computer or laptop)
You cannot take the exams from mobile devices (e.g., iPhone, iPad, Android device, etc).You need a working webcam and microphone (depending on the options your instructor has selected)
- You must use the Google Chrome web browser & the Proctorio Extension
- Install the Proctorio extension for Google Chrome. It takes less than 30 seconds. The exam that requires Proctorio will usually prompt you to install the extension if you need it.
- No other browser extensions may be in use (example: Kurzweill). This is is intentional as allowing access to other tools breaks the integrity of the exam. The instructor may set up an exemption via the Moderation Page for the student's Quiz (uncheck the checkbox below the webcam icon for the student, then change Proctorio Access Settings).
- Have a photo ID card available
Depending on the settings your instructor has used for the exam you may be be asked to hold up your ID to document you are the test taker.
- Be ready for room scans
Again, depending on the settings on your exam, Proctorio may ask you to do a room scan: turning your web camera in a 360 degree pan to look at the room. Proctorio may ask more than once if the program hears noises - the application is trying to ensure there is nobody else in the room.
Using Proctorio is fairly simple. Proctorio walks you through the process as you’re taking the exam, so you do not need to refer to any instructions while you’re using Proctorio. The best way to prepare is to practice! If your instructor has set up a practice exam be sure to take it so you are prepared.
- Click the shield icon in your web browser. See this 13-second Youtube video for details.
- Click Live Chat to connect with support personnel to get help.
- You can also call or email Proctorio Support: 1-877-687-6411 email@example.com
Sometimes you need to reinstall to update the extension. Remove it and reinstall it:
- Go to Customize and Control Google Chrome (three dots in the upper right of the browser)
> More tools > Extensions
- Find the Proctorio extension and click the Remove from Chrome (trash can) icon.
- Go back to the quiz and it will prompt you to install the extension.
You don’t need a password.
- Make sure you are using the latest Google Chrome web browser.
- Try turning the Proctorio extension Off, then back On.
- Chrome browser menu (3 dots in upper right corner).
- More Tools > Extensions.
- Proctorio extension > Off. Close the browser window
- Repeat the process and turn the Proctorio extension On.
- Log out of all Google accounts. Close all Google Chrome browser windows, restart your computer and then go directly to your course site and do a fresh login with your UMN account ONLY (e.g., do not log in with a personal gmail account).
Make sure you are NOT using: umn.instructure.com....you MUST use canvas.umn.edu ( this is very important...the Instructure address will not work)
Check out the Proctorio Student Support Center for more information. You will need to be logged into Canvas in order to access this support.