Enterprise CRM: Log a Call
Log a Call is best used when you are recording an interaction that has happened with a particular contact and perhaps a follow-up Task is needed. It will automatically create a Task with Call as the subject and you are able to simultaneously fill-in information for a follow-up Task to assign to either yourself or another user.
Prior to logging a call you may want to check with your internal business processes to ensure that you are including appropriate information and filling out the correct fields.
What Are My Privacy Options?
This will depend what Object/record type you are on. To get more information review Understand Privacy Settings.
Logging a Call
Note: Depending on the Object/record you are creating the Task from, some of these fields may already be filled in with information. (i.e. creating from an Opportunity will fill in Related To section)
- Navigate to the record you'd like to Log a Call for.
- Once on the record there are two ways to get to Log a Call:
- At the top of the record hovering over the text for Activity History brings up a window where the Log a Call button is able to be clicked.
- Further down on the page underneath the Detail there is an Activity History section of the page where there is a Log a Call button that is able to the clicked.
- Once on the Log a Call screen fields can be manipulated as needed. How you manipulate these fields will likely be determined by internal business processes.
- Assigned To will default to you as the User but if needed the Lookup icon can be used to assign the Task to a different User.
- The Subject field will default to Call.
- Due Date will default to today's date but can be manipulated as needed.
- The Comment Category, Peoplesoft Status, and Comment Resolved fields communicate with Peoplesoft and cannot be modified at this time.
- Comments are where you will be putting the descriptive information that the Task is being created for and may be determined by internal business processes. Something useful to someone consuming the information should be put within this box.
- The Related To field defaults to the record that the Call was created from.
- The Name field allows you to use the Lookup icon to associate a Contact with the Task as needed.
- Note: If the type of record you created the Call from was a private record such as Reserved Contact Data or Lead this can be added here without making the Call public.
- Related Case allows you to use the Lookup icon to associate a Case with the Task as needed.
- Type should be set according to internal business practices.
- Direction should be set according to internal business practices.
- Status will automatically be filled in as Completed.
- Below the information for the initial call there are fields available to create a follow up Task with the available fields of Assigned To, Subject, Due Date, Comments, Related Case, Type, Direction Status, Priority, and Reminder that can be manipulated per business practices.
- Fill in all desired fields for the Call and Follow-up Task (if creating) and click on Save to be brought back to the record.