Canvas for Students: Purchase and Register an iClicker Remote
Students: You may be asked to use an iClicker remote for a course.
Purchasing or renting an iClicker
If you are enrolled in a course that uses iClicker 2, you can purchase an iClicker remote at the University of Minnesota Bookstores at the start of the semester. At the end of the semester, the bookstore will buy back your used clicker, as long as it is in good condition.
In some cases, you may be able to rent an iClicker instead of purchasing one. Please contact the University of Minnesota Bookstore general information line at 612-625-6000 for more information.
You can also go directly to iClicker.com to get the free REEF Polling app and purchase a subscription or buy an iClicker2 device with a 6-month subscription to REEF Polling.
Registering an iClicker in Canvas
- Go to the Canvas course site that you are to use the iClicker.
- In the course menu on the left click iClicker registration. If you do not see iClicker registration, contact your instructor.
- On the Register Your iClicker page, enter your unique 8-digit iClicker remote ID. View the iClicker Student registration FAQ on the right to find your remote ID.
- Click Register. Your iClicker is now registered.
- You can remove your registration(s) from Canvas at any time by returning to the iClicker Registration page and clicking on Remove.
iClicker remote frequently asked questions
- Where do I find my remote ID?
- Your iClicker remote ID is printed on a sticker located on the back of your remote. The ID is the 8-character code below the barcode. Newer iClicker remotes also have a secondary location for the remote ID sticker in the battery compartment behind the batteries.
- What do I do if I cannot read the ID printed on my remote?
- The iClicker2 remotes will briefly display the remote ID when first powered on.
- Why do I get an “Invalid Remote ID” error when I try to register?
- Your remote ID is an 8-character code that should only contain letters A-F and numbers 0-9. Make sure you are not entering the letter “O” for the number “0” or the letter “I” for the number “1.”
- I’ve lost/broken my remote. Can I register another remote?
- Yes, you may register multiple remotes for any reason. iClicker will link both remotes to your name so that you receive credit for votes you made with either remote.
- I use my iClicker remote for multiple classes. Do I need to register my remote for each class?
- No, you only need to register once. Once registered, your information will automatically apply to all of the classes in which you are enrolled and using iClicker.
- What do I do if I accidentally registered the wrong remote ID?
- If you register a wrong remote ID, simply remove the incorrect entry and register again with the correct information.
- I’ve already used my iClicker remote in class before registering it. Will I still receive credit for my votes?
- Yes, your votes still count. Your in-class votes were recorded by iClicker, and once you register your remote, these votes will be associated with you the next time your instructor syncs their gradebook or roster.
- Can I share my iClicker with a friend or roommate?
- Yes, you can share an iClicker with another student as long as you are using the iClicker in separate courses. You can NOT share an iClicker with someone in the same course.