Windows: Add a Printer Via The Print Server
Note: Printers are now managed by Active Directory groups and the user needs to be added to the proper group to see and access the printer, if they have not been added to the proper group they will get an "Access denied" error or a prompt asking for a username and password. For assistance with this please contact Zone Support.
Follow the directions below to add a printer with Windows 10 and Windows 7.
Notes for techs:
- Not all users might have access to some printers
- oit-printgen and oit-printprem servers are prefered. Use oit-printgen if the printers do not have scanning capability, use oit-printprem if the printers have scanning capability.
- oit-printgen and oit-printprem are ONLY using package aware drivers. They do not prompt users for driver update like no-package aware drivers.
- oit-printlgcy should only be used if the printers do not have package aware made available.
- oit-print-1 and oit-print-2 will be phasing out. Printer objects have not been added to these servers
- Printer naming standard: ASR-WmsonH-160-HP476C (HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M476 series belongs to Academic Support Resources in 160 Williamson. The C after the model indicating COLOR capabilities)
Adding A Printer From Directory
Sometimes adding the printer is easier if you search by hostname.
- Open Printers and Scanners, easiest to find by searching in the start menu
- Select Add Printer or Scanner
- After the printer list starts populating, Scroll down and select the option "The printer that I want isn't listed"
- On the new window that appears, select "Find a printer in the directory, based on location or feature" then click Next
- A new dialog window will appear and in the Name field you can search for the name of the printer, or even the department the printer is in, I will be using OIT as an example. After you have added your search term, click "Find Now"
- A list of printers will appear, double click the printer you would like to add, then click next through the prompts that appear and your printer should be added. Printing a test page may show up as an option and is recommended to verify the connection.
Adding a printer Directly
- If you are adding a color or multi-function printer, you will want to use \\oit-printprem
- If you are adding a plain black and white printer with no multi-function features use \\oit-printgen
- From your keyboard, hit the Windows key and R key at the same time, it will open the Run window.
- Type \\oit-printgen and either hit Enter or click OK. The printer server window will open.
- Find the printers you want to install and double click it.
- Print a test page to verify your printer works properly.
If you are unable to add the printer this way, you may not have been granted access to use this printer. For assistance please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org listing the name of the printer you would like access to print.
For instructions on how to set up network printers on a Mac see Printers: Mac add printer.