WebEx: What's Coming 33.8
Cisco regularly updates WebEx with new features and bug fixes. As upcoming versions are added to the roadmap, this article will document notable updates planned for the various WebEx applications used at the University. The next upgrade is anticipated to occur in January 2019.
Cisco Webex Meetings
Beta: High Frame Rate Sharing on Mac
In a previous release, we enhanced the Cisco Webex Meetings Desktop Application on Windows to allow sharing content in a mode optimized for motion and video. When users choose the “Optimize for motion and video”, content is sent and received at a high frame rate. With this enabled, users can view full-motion in HD (depending on available bandwidth).
We are now providing Mac users with the same ability to send and receive content sharing in a high frame-rate. Mac users can now enable the “Optimize for motion and video” mode
- Users attending from Cisco Webex Meetings for iOS and Android, and the Cisco Webex Meetings Web App are not able to see the high frame rate media. These users continue to see the current lower frame rates. This will be available in a future release.
- Webex Video Devices or Webex Teams cannot send media in high frame rate to all Webex Meetings Apps. This will be addressed in a future release.
Auto-Lock Based on Preference for Video System Started Personal Room Meetings
Meetings in your personal room are getting more secure with the introduction of automatic locking for meetings started from your video systems.
Previously, if automatic lock was enabled in Personal Room settings, meetings would not be automatically locked if hosts started the meeting from video systems or phones.
Now, meetings are automatically locked, even if the host starts the meeting from a video system or a phone. This results in a better security posture for your meetings.
- If your Webex site is running on Video Platform Version 2, you can use DTMF-*5 (star-five) to unlock and re-lock your meeting from your video system. On Webex cloud-registered devices, you can do this with the native touch device controls.
If your Webex site is running on Video Platform Version 1, and if you set up auto-lock to 0 minutes after meeting start, as a host on a video systems or a phone, you will not be able to admit anyone into the meeting, since no meetings controls are available. If you want to be able to admit participants into the meeting, you will have to use the Webex Meetings apps and log in as a host.
Cisco Webex Meetings and Cisco Webex Events
Accessibility Improvements on Mac
We’ve made several improvements to the Mac versions of the Cisco Webex Meetings and Cisco Webex Events user interfaces that greatly enhance accessibility and usability:
- Users can use the shortcut F6 and Shift F6 to switch between the Video and Sharing (Main screen) area and the Panels area (this follows Microsoft Windows functionality).
- Users can use the shortcut F6 and Shift F6 to switch between Panels.
- Users can use the keyboard Tab and Shift+Tab to access visible buttons on the following panels:
- Closed Caption
- Multimedia Viewer
Cisco Webex Meetings Suite
In preparation for the upcoming versioning alignment initiative, we are removing the “Service version” row from the About section of our front end pages downloads, and the “WBS33” reference from the About page in applications.
Please see our upcoming versioning alignment announcement below.
The following applications are updated with application changes:
- Windows, Mac, and Java applications for Cisco Webex Meetings, Cisco Webex Events, Cisco Webex Training, Cisco Webex Support
- Cisco Webex Meetings Mobile for iOS and Android
- WebACD application
- NBR offline player
- Local recorder, player, and editor
- Polling editor
- Access Anywhere and Remote Access
Cisco Webex Meetings Mobile 11.6 (Android)
Webex Events Support
Android mobile users can now view shared video screens for their Webex Event sessions. This provides parity with iOS and Desktop clients.
Android users now have their speaker enabled by default, if there are no headphones connected.
Android users are now offered an option to retain their recordings search history when signing out of the app.
Picture in Picture Support
Android users in a meeting are now able to exit their Webex Meetings app to multi-task, while a small window appears in the bottom right to show the active speaker or shared screen content.
Recording List Improvements
Android hosts can now share recordings directly to others’ attendee recording lists directly from within their mobile app.
Android users can now download their MP4 recordings for offline playback.
Cisco Webex Meetings Mobile 11.6 (iOS)
In-app iOS Screen Sharing User Experience Improvements
iOS users are now able to launch their native screen share capabilities directly from the Webex Meetings app itself, instead of being forced to use the iOS device's native control center interface.
Additional AR File Support
The Meetings Mobile app for iOS now supports the USDZ file format for Augmented Reality (AR) sharing.
iPad Pro 2018 and iOS 12.1 Support
We are announcing official support for iPad Pro 2018.
We are announcing official support for iOS 12.1.
Attendee Recording List Enabled for All Users
Existing mobile users now have the capability to view their attendee recordings within the app enabled by default.