VPN: Connect to a PC at Boynton from a Windows 10 computer
Installing the Baraccuda SSL VPN client
If you’ve already completed the installation process please skip directly to step 14.
- To connect to Boynton’s VPN Staff Portal from a computer running Windows 10 start by identifying whether the computer is running a 32-bit or 64-bit edition of Windows. To find this open the Start Menu and click the Settings icon just above the start button.
- Open the option titled System
- Scroll to the bottom of the column at the left and choose About. The line at the right labeled System Type holds the information you need: either 64-bit or 32-bit.
- Once you’ve identified your system type, download the appropriate installer from one of the following links:
Download the 32-bit SSL VPN installer (x86)
Download the 64-bit SSL VPN installer (x64)
NOTE: These links are only accessible from the digital version of this document so make sure you’re reading this on the computer where you’ll do the installation and all of your VPN work.
Also you’ll need to first be logged into your UofM Gmail account in order for the link to recognize you as part of the organization allowed to access the link.
The link will open a new browser window.
- Click on the Download button in the middle of the window.
- Google Drive will warn you that it can’t scan the file for viruses. We are sure that this is a safe resource, so click the button that says Download Anyway.
- Run the downloaded file.
- When the installer opens choose your preferred language, then click OK.
- Choose a directory where the program should be installed or approve the default install location by clicking OK.
- Approve or decline the creation of a Start Menu folder and/or shortcuts.
- Enter the Host name for the staff portal: staff.bhs.umn.edu
- Approve or decline the option to have the SSL VPN Agent launch automatically at system startup.
NOTE: we recommend against this, and suggest leaving the box un-checked.
- The installer will run and display a message when it’s complete. Click Finish to close the window.
Connecting to the Boynton Staff Portal and VPN
- To launch the program open the Start Menu and choose the SSL VPN Agent from the menu.
- Right-click on the key icon in the System Tray at the bottom-right corner of the screen. You may have to click a small up-carat to expand the list of hidden icons in the tray.
Choose Login from the context menu. A new window will open in your default browser.
- Log in to the Staff Portal with your AHC username and password.
Note: These are also your PNC/PowerDMS credentials.
- A message will warn you that the VPN agent is trying to associate itself with your web session. If you’ve just prompted the login via the VPN agent and the browser, click Yes.
- The Network Access Control will check to ensure that your antivirus program is active and has the necessary virus definitions updated.
NOTE: If you receive a failure message at this step, update the definitions in your antivirus program, then close the browser and start the connection process again at step 15.
- You should now be logged into the portal and see your dashboard with available Resource Icons.
- When you click the My Computer AHC resource icon you will be asked to enter the name of your computer. Enter your computer ID in the following format: D########.ad.ahc.umn.edu wherein the ######## is the device number identified on the green sticker on your computer. Tip: Uncheck the box that offers to save this name if you think there's any chance you'll need to log into another computer at a later time.
- Once the device name is entered click Save Changes to the right. The connection to your computer will be opened and you’ll be logged in.
To connect to PNC or NextGen
Launch the My Computer connection from the VPN dashboard, then log into TSBH-PROD or TSBH-EyeClinic via the RDP shortcut on the desktop. This will open a terminal server session and give you access to the programs. Launch the desktop shortcut and log in as you would from your normal work area.
ServiceNow Article ID