UMN Search: Glossary of Search Appliance Terms
There are a number of terms specific to the Google Search Appliance that are used throughout this documentation. This is a glossary for the terms we use. Other GSA terms can be found on the Google Enterprise Glossary page.
- A segment of a search index. At the U, we divide our search index into collections to show different results to different users; for example, by college, by department, by campus.
- Front End
- A user interface for search users. At the U, we change the look and feel of the search and the search result pages. We customize front ends to display a common interface for the University.
- OneBox Module
- A unit of configuration that is defined in the Admin Console to configure the relationship between a search appliance and a OneBox configuration. A OneBox module defines a search type, such as People Search results, or campus search results. Search terms invoke matching search results to appear in the OneBox when the results match the type set for the OneBox.
- Narrow Your Search
- Also known as dynamic result clusters, this is a feature that narrows searches by providing dynamically formed subcategories (“dynamic result clusters”) based on the results of each search query. Each subcategory groups similar documents together. Instead of reading through results to understand the results, end users can browse a subcategory.
- Result Biasing
- A feature that allows you to prioritize or deprioritize results from specific sites to adjust how high they appear in the search results.
- Specific words or phrases that are configured to show a particular result above all other search results. For example, searching for “tuition” on search.umn.edu shows KeyMatch links to the One Stop site and the Admissions site. KeyMatches may either be configured for your individual collection, for your campus’ search, or for the systemwide search. KeyMatches for collections you own can be added by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, See the KeyMatches section in the middle column of the University Search self-help guide for more information..
- Query Suggestion
- Information that appears at the start of search results to suggest key words to help users refine a search query.
ServiceNow Article ID