UMN Library Privileges
This article outlines the UMN Library Privileges available to specific classes of user, as well as which user classes have borrowing privileges.
Complete privileges by User Class
- Current students, faculty, staff and retirees: Have full privileges.
- If Student is Graduating in Spring: Privileges last all summer.
- If Student is Graduating in Fall: No immediate extra fee for privileges.
- For Alumni: Privileges for $40.00/yr. (with valid Alumni Association Card)
- Friends of the UMN Libraries: Privileges for $80/yr for public (see section b below)
- Attorneys, law firms, and law students from Hamline, St. Thomas, and William Mitchell Universities may apply for borrowing privileges by contacting the Law Library Circulation Desk for more information 612-625-4300.
- Special Borrowers receive the same privileges as normal student/staff/faculty users. Access is decided on a term-by-term basis. The person making the request can fill out the Special Borrowers form.
- Borrower Application Links:
- For Sponsored Accounts: Requests to have borrowing privileges added to a sponsored account can be made by the sponsor to email@example.com.
Who is eligible for UMN borrowing privileges?
a. Current UMN students, faculty, staff and retirees.
b. Alumni, Visitors and Guests.
All users are welcome to use most materials in the library. To borrow libraries' materials, alumni and guests may join the Friends of the Libraries Program through the following contribution levels:
$80/yr for individuals ($40/yr with valid Alumni Association Card)
$250/year for corporations
$80/year for non-profit organizations
Privileges included are: 6-week loan period/renew up to 3 months.
If this article does not answer your questions, such as specific access privileges, please see https://www.lib.umn.edu/services/borrowing or contact the UMN Privileges Department: Main Phone 612-624-3321 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org