Transcript: Introduction to Netfiles
Hello and welcome to NetFiles. I'm Suzanne Garfield, a technology trainer from OIT's Collaborative for Academic Technology Innovation. In this video I will outline some of the key features of the NetFiles service, and quickly introduce you to the interface.
NetFiles is a free service provided to faculty, staff, and students at the University. It allows you to securely store and share files with University users and/ or outside guests. You get 5 GB of space, so if you need to share large files - like media files, NetFiles is a great way to go, especially when emailing is not an option.
Other features you might like are versioning, which lets you track changes made to a file, and logging, which allows you to see who accesses your content and when.
All you need to run NetFiles is a web browser and an internet connection.
To access the service, open a web browser such as Firefox or Internet Explorer, and go to http://netfiles.umn.edu. Log in with your internet ID and password. Your Home directory appears.
I've been using NF for a whle, so I have a few files and folder here already.
- The upper-right corner shows your log in information.
- The Files tab lists files and folders you have uploaded to NetFiles.
- You can double-click a file folder to view its contents.
- What to view a file? Simply double-click it.
- The breadcrumbs above the toolbar show where you are located within your home directory.
- You can easily get back to your home directory by clicking your internet id.
- Below the breadcrumbs is a toolbar. These tools become available when you select a file or folder to work with. You can use these tools to manage and share files.
- You can perform more actions using the toolbar below the search box. You will learn more about these and other feature in our other NetFiles videos.
- Remember, you get 5 GB of space. The lower left of the screen shows how much space you have used and how much is available.
This has been a quick overview of the NF service. For more questions about the service, visit the NF support site at www.oit.umn.edu/netfiles. For help with Internet IDs and passwords, contact Campus Technology Help at (612) 301-4357.
Return to the Introduction to NetFiles video