Use learning analytics: Create a strong learning path for your students
It’s the start of the semester: Are your students ready to learn? The first four weeks are linked to student success in your class, as well as to student retention and graduation. Our focus in this workshop is on connecting learning analytics to classroom practice. Use learning analytics to create a strong learning path for your students at the beginning of the semester!
This session draws on the Unizin Stepping Stones Learning Analytics Curriculum, a cross-institutional effort to prepare faculty to use learning analytics data ethically, effectively, and equitably. Unizin peer institutions are piloting this curriculum in Spring 2023.
During the session, the facilitators will introduce pedagogical strategies, instruments, and resources that instructors can use to connect teaching questions to relevant data and appropriate action as they implement a plan for the first 4 weeks of class.
In order to create and implement a plan for the first 4 weeks of class, this workshop will enable instructors to:
- Be transparent with students about how learning analytics will be used in the course
- Verify whether students have reviewed important course information
- Use low-stakes assessment(s) to give students formative feedback and prepare them for high-stakes assessments
- Incorporate outreach messages in response to learning data
Who Should Attend
- preparing their courses for the beginning of the semester.
- interested in gaining an understanding of learning data to support student success.
- A basic familiarity with Canvas is recommended. Instructors new to Canvas should watch the Canvas Essentials recorded webinar prior to the workshop.
Additional Course Information
- The session will not be recorded. If you are not able to attend, please register so you have access to the session materials.
- After you enroll in a section, you can find further instructions in your enrollment email.
- Lauren Marsh, Academic Technology Support Services
- Yelena Yan, Academic Technology Support Services
Accessibility & Accommodation Requests
We seek to foster a positive experience for all participants. We will have Zoom’s live transcript on and will share our slides. If you have access needs (for example visual impairment, dyslexia, deafness, etc) please contact us via email so we can work together to provide a good learning experience for you. Accommodation requests for live captioning should be made two weeks prior to the session.
Current Term Sessions
- Jan. 10, 2023 - Jan. 10, 2023