TechSmith Relay: How to Use the Desktop Client
TechSmith Relay retiring December 31, 2018
As of December 31, 2018 TechSmith Relay will no longer be available at the University of Minnesota. The makers of TechSmith Relay have announced they will no longer support the software. As a replacement, OIT is offering Screencast-O-Matic, which is available now.
Downloading the TechSmith Relay client
- Go to the UMN TechSmith Relay site.
- Login with your internet ID and password.
- Select the Client Downloads menu.
- Click the Client Downloads option that appears.
- Click the Download button.
- Run the install file.
Launching the TechSmith Relay client
Note: the first time you launch this application you will need an internet connection.
- Log in using your university internet ID and password
- Note: You may choose to select Remember Me. However, this is not recommended.
- Under Presentation Details use the Profile drop-down list and select Publish to Media Magnet, Publish to Media Mill or Publish to YouTube.
- Enter the title for this recording.
Publishing to Media Magnet
Start the title with the course department ID, course number, underscore section number. You can include any descriptive information after the course identifying information. As an example for Biology 1001, class session 1, enter: BIOL1001_001 Session1. Media Magnet uses the course identifying information (i.e. BIOL1001_001) to assign this recording to the appropriate podcast.
For full instructions, see the section Adding Course Content in the Media Magnet Basic Guide.
Publishing to Media Mill or YouTube
- Any descriptive title can be used. The title can be edited later.
- The description field is not used at this time and should be left blank.
Creating the recording
- From the Audio menu (microphone icon) at the top of the TechSmith Relay window, choose the microphone input that corresponds to the microphone you are using.
- If you would like to include a camera view in the recording, click the Camera menu item (camera icon) and select the camera view that corresponds to your camera.
- If you have multiple monitors, click Select a display to record and click on the view that corresponds to the monitor you would like to record.
Note: TechSmith Relay does not allow for recording multiple monitors.
- If desired, create a test recording to verify your settings:
- Click the test button to perform a 10 second test recording.
- Click the play button to listen to the test recording.
- Click close.
- Click the red REC button to begin recording your video.
Note: If you want to take a break during the recording, select TechSmith Relay from the dock (Mac) or system tray (Windows) and click pause. Then click resume to start again.
- When you are finished recording, select TechSmith Relay from the dock (Mac) or system tray (Windows) and click stop.
Note: If you do not wish to keep the video, you may choose discard and try again.
- If you are satisfied with the video, click submit video.