Unify BI Tableau Connector
Use the Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) as a data source for Tableau
Tableau users can leverage data subject areas in the Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW), which are validated and conform to enterprise accepted data definitions, without making a stop in an Excel spreadsheet. The Unify BI Tableau Connector uses the native Web Data Connector within Tableau to integrate with UM Analytics (Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition, or OBIEE). This allows users to build a query and extract a data set from the EDW and import the data directly into a Tableau workbook.
NOTE: The Unify BI Tableau Connector is in a pilot phase at this time (Early 2019) and is only available to a small group of pilot users. If you are among the pilot users, please email Brian Krupski at firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to Unify BI.
- Leverages University login and associated UM Analytics privileges to determine data available for each user.
- Build queries using University validated and pre-joined data from the Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW).
- Extract the resulting data set directly into a Tableau workbook.
- The data query definition is saved and can be reused to continually update the Tableau Workbook.
- Combine data with other local or external data sources in your Tableau workbook.
- See the UM Analytics IT@UMN Technology Page for information about data subject areas available for building data queries (i.e., authoring analyses).
- Using Unify BI Tableau Connector requires privileges in UM Analytics to author analyses. Check your assigned access roles in UM Analytics.
- If you do not have at least one author access role, attend one of the following in-person classes on using the UM Analytics query and dashboard builder. Note: Each pillar may require additional data training before granting author access (e.g., private data training)
- UM Analytics: Creating Basic Analyses and Dashboards with Financial Data
- UM Analytics: Creating Basic Analyses and Dashboards with Student Data
- UM Analytics: Creating Basic Analyses and Dashboards with Human Resources Data