Software Center: Install and Uninstall Available Software
Software Center is designed for easy installation and removal of optional software without the need for administrator rights on Windows computers that are managed by University of Minnesota IT. This document details how to use Software Center on your Windows workstation.
This article will help you complete the following:
- Launch Software Center
- Install an Application
- Remove an Application
Launch Software Center
- Click on the Windows Menu, also known as the Start Menu
- Search for Software Center or navigate to All Programs -> Microsoft System Center -> Configuration Manager
- Click on Software Center
Install an Application
- From Software Center's side navigation bar, click on Applications
- Click on the application you would like to install. For example, we selected Adobe AIR from the list.
- Click the Install button on the application's page, the installation status should display next to the cancel button.
- You can also use the Installation Status section to monitor an install and see what other applications have been installed through software center.
Remove an Application
- Click on the Applications section of Software center, then use the Switch to list view button which will allow you to see what software is already installed.
- Click on the application you wish to uninstall, in our example we're going use Adobe AIR. On the application's page click the Uninstall button.
- Once the uninstall has begun, you can monitor on the application page and use the Cancel button if you started the uninstall in error.
Greyed Out Uninstall Scenario
If the uninstall button is greyed out this indicated the software is required on that device. It can be removed manually but will more than likely be re-installed. It should be identified if the software is needed on that device and if not escalated to the Computer Management team.
Sometimes you may need to install updates prior to other software showing up. If there are software updates pending and the software you're looking for isn't showing up try installing all available updates.
Any issues encountered should be escalated to the Computer Management team or the local IT support for the unit if the device is not centrally managed.