UnifyBI Tableau Connector
Use UM Analytics as a data source for Tableau
Tableau users can leverage data subject areas in UM Analytics, which are validated and conform to enterprise accepted data definitions, without making a stop in an Excel spreadsheet. The Unify BI Tableau Connector uses the native Web Data Connector within Tableau to integrate with UM Analytics. This allows users to build a query and extract a data set from the Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) and import the data directly into a Tableau workbook.
Introduction to Unify
See a demonstration of how to build a class enrollment data set by college.
- Leverages University login and associated UM Analytics privileges to determine data available for each user.
- Build queries using University validated and pre-joined data from the EDW.
- Extract the resulting data set directly into a Tableau workbook.
- The data query definition is saved and can be reused to continually update the Tableau workbook.
- Combine data with other local or external data sources in your Tableau workbook.
- See the UM Analytics IT@UMN Technology Page for information about data subject areas available for building data queries (i.e., authoring analyses).
- Refer to the Unify BI Tableau Connector Self-help Guide.
- Using Unify BI Tableau Connector requires privileges in UM Analytics to author analyses. Check your assigned access roles in UM Analytics.
- The Unify BI functionality uses an individual's UM Analytics security; all data extracts and refreshes will require two factor authentication which means functional/departmental accounts cannot be used for Unify BI data extracts.
- If you do not have at least one author access role, attend one of the following classes on using the UM Analytics query and dashboard builder. Note: Each pillar may require additional data training before granting author access (e.g., private data training)
- Request author access to UM Analytics via an Access Request Form (see Additional Applications section).
- Setup a Web Data Connector source in Tableau using the following Unify BI Server URL: https://unifybi.umn.edu/unify
- Login to Unify BI with your Internet ID & Password and DUO.
University-funded: No charge.