UMConnect Retired June 30, 2021
What is the Current Status of UMConnect?
UMConnect was retired on June 30, 2021. If you (or someone you know) was hosting files or presentations in umconnect.umn.edu, it is now impossible to recover content from that system. If you need guidance on alternative ways to post similar interactive content, please contact Technology Help to help identify hosting solutions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why was UMConnect shut down on June 30, 2021?
- UMConnect was very old and difficult/costly to maintain.
- The primary use of UMConnect as a web conferencing platform was removed in late 2014, when WebEx was adopted at the University.
- Resources and staff are better used to support active systems.
What happened with Flash content in UMConnect?
- The majority of content housed in UMConnect was recorded and stored in Adobe Flash format, and no longer loads.
- Adobe Inc. retired Flash on December 31, 2020; since then it has been difficult if not impossible to load Flash resources because:
- The Flash player no longer loads Flash content, this is by Adobe's design since they are no creating security updates for the Flash client. Users are sent to the Adobe Flash Player EOL General Information Page.
- Current browsers no longer support Flash.
What happened to content hosted in UMConnect after June 30, 2021?
- On July 1, 2021, UMConnect stoped serving existing content.
- When people click links on umconnect.umn.edu, and links to resources posted in that system, the page you are reading now will appear instead.
How have users been informed that UMConnect will be retired on June 30, 2021?
- In recent years, UMConnect has housed some resources linked to from Canvas. Starting in fall 2020, OIT Academic Technology has created reports of Canvas pages linking to or embedding content from umconnect.umn.edu and given those to academic technology staff in system campuses, colleges, and departments.
- An informational message about the upcoming retirement was added to the umconnect.umn.edu login page in early May 2021.
- The shut down plan was discussed at the monthly Academic Technology informal Community of Practice (iCoP) since December 2020.
- The retirement was highlighted in the May 6, 2021 edition of Teaching with Technology News.