WiFi: Driver Updates
Faculty, Staff, and Students who would like to check or update their wireless driver software should contact theTechnology Helpline for assistance.
Obtain & Install Device Driver Software
Driver software updates are specific to the manufacturer of your wireless card. The manufacturer and model number are usually printed on external cards for identification. Built-in wireless cards may be identified through your laptop operating system. Most driver updates are included in Operating System (OS) updates, the following support documents detail updating the OS for macOS and Windows OS.
Search for Vendor Driver Software Updates
Go to your manufacturer's website and find instructions for downloading and installing the driver you need based on your wireless card model number and operating system. In Windows OS, individual drivers can also be updated through Device Manager, the following support document details this process.
NOTE: we need to run it as an admin to be able to update the drivers and you may not be able to do so on the user's device from the list. To run as a admin I had to search "compmgmt.msc" then run as admin from there and then search for device mgmt from there.
How to run computer management tool as administrator
Computer Management is an administrative tool included with Windows. The Computer Management console contains numerous standalone tools and utilities, including Task Scheduler, Device Manager, Disk Management and Services, that can be used to modify Windows settings and performance. Some tools in Computer Management require administrative access in order to run properly such as Device Manager.
1. Open the Start screen (Windows 8, 10) or Start menu (Windows 7) and type "compmgmt.msc" into the screen or menu. The Windows search function will open as soon as you begin typing; select the "Settings" option on the right side if you're using Windows 8.
2. Right-click the program that appears in the results list and select "Run as administrator" from the context menu. Enter an administrative username and password, if prompted.
3. Select the desired tool or utility from the Computer Management window -- such as "Device Manager", "Disk Management", or "Performance" -- to run it as an administrator.
- Broadcom Support
- Intel Support
- Linksys & Cisco Support(Note, Linksys and Cisco Wireless adapter updates are both handled by Linsys.)
- Netgear Support
- Other vendors: Search the manufacturer's website with keywords like "downloads," "support," or "products."