WiFi: Connecting Departmental Resources
Often departments, or units will have devices that need access to WiFi. Regardless of whether they can connect to eduroam, we recommend these devices be registered through the ClearPass Guest Registration portal under a departmental account.
Requesting IoT Admin Permissions
Contact Technology Help through one of the methods on our website. Specify that you are looking to get IoT Admin permissions for an account, and provide the account you want to use to register devices.
We strongly recommend using a departmental account to ensure control of the device is maintained by the department, and not a specific person. If you do not have one and would like to use one, please request a departmental/organizational account.
What does it mean to be an IoT Admin?
IoT Admins are typically technical departmental staff who have a need to register Internet of Things devices like freezer or door locks. A person with IoT Admin access will have a unique view of the device registration portal that allows them to specify the role of the device, uofm-IoT-campus or uofm-IoT-internet, as well as choose an expiration date, which is not available to users who are registering personal devices.
Your responsibility as an IoT Admin
Only University owned devices should be registered through this portal. You will need to register personal IoT devices using the instructions for Registering a gaming console or streaming device for WiFi Access. Should the device be used for malicious purposes, the IoT Admin who registered the device will be held responsible for the activity. University Information Security will contact the admin who registered the device to discuss next steps upon discovery of malicious activity.
In the event a departmental account is not used, customers are responsible for transferring responsibility for the devices that are registered under your name upon leaving the University.
Registering an IoT Device
Once registered, the device can connect to UofM-Guest directly without having to accept the terms on the guest portal.
- Log in to ClearPass Guest Registration portal
- You may need to use a private/incognito window to sign in with a departmental account
- Select Create Device
- Complete the presented form:
- Mac Address of the device in the format FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
- Device Name is whatever you would like, e.g. InfoTech 101 Door Lock
- AirGroup: Check Enable AirGroup if you need to access the IoT device from another device on eduroam
- For example, you would enable AirGroup for a freezer that you control using a phone app
- AirGroup allows you to limit access to the device to specific people, or to a specific access points
- If you would like assistance determining which access points to select, contact Technology Help
- Account Activation: Set to Now unless you want the device to become active later
- Account Expiration: Select the expiration time that makes sense for this device
- For devices like door locks, you can set the device to never expire so you need not register it every year
- Account Role:
- Uofm-IoT-campus only allows devices to reach internal campus resources. Best for devices like door locks.
- Uofm-IoT-internet allows the device to access the whole internet internal and external to campus. Best for devices like University owned game consoles or other casting devices (Apple TV, Chromecast, etc.)
- Notes: Add a short description of the device and details about how it will be used
- Example: This AppleTV will be used in Coffman Memorial Union room ###. Contact 612-555-5555 or the registered email for more information.
- Click Create