Retrieve stored passwords from your Internet browser
Internet browsers have the ability to save passwords. These are typically kept in a non-encrypted, plain text format. It is strongly recommended that you do not use your browsers password saving feature as it is not a secure password manager.
To view these passwords see the appropriate documentation for your specific browser:
- From the top right Chrome menu button, select Settings.
- In Settings, select Passwords.
- In this menu you can see all your saved passwords.
- To view a password, click on the eyeball image. You will need to enter your login password.
- To remove a saved password, click on the 3-dot menu.
- Select the Firefox menu in the upper right corner
- Click Logins and Passwords.
- Search or scroll to find the login info you wish to see/change
- From the Safari app, go to the Safari menu and choose Preferences
- Choose the Passwords tab.
- Click the checkbox for Show passwords for selected websites this requires the administrator password to be entered for the Mac.
- Choose the website from the list whose password you wish to reveal, then choose to Allow when permission is requested to reveal that logins password.