Printers: Install a Network Printer on a Mac
Instructions on how to set up network printers on a Mac.
For centrally managed devices, many of these printers are also available through the Self Service application without an admin account or configuration. For more assistance on this, check out Using the Self Service application on macOS Computers.
Note: You will need to have administrative access on your computer and the printer's IP Address to perform these tasks. If you do not have administrative access to your system preferences or cannot find this information on the printer, please contact your appropriate service desk.
- From your desktop dock, click on the Systems Preferences icon.
- Choose Printers & Scanners.
- Once in Printers & Scanners click the + icon.
- On the Add screen click on the IP icon.
- You are brought here
- On this page you will want to fill in:
- Address: (IP or hostname) for the printer you would like to install.
- Protocol: Line Printer Daemon - LPD is the recommended option for most larger devices, while Internet Printing Protocol - IPP is typically best with smaller devices.
- Insert the Name of the printer. This will be what your printer shows up as on your computer.
- Add the Location of the device. This is a note that will tell you where this printer is.
- Once you enter the IP Address, Name and Location detail, you will need to select a Printer Driver by clicking the drop down menu next to Use
- Note: You should NOT need an admin account to add a printer this way.
- Click the drop down arrow next to the Use field.
- Choose Select Software..
- On the Printer Software screen
- You can filter your search by typing the type of printer you are looking for in the Filter field. In this example we are filtering for "Toshiba" and choosing the "Toshiba e-ST4511/451c Series P5" which happens to be the driver to e-Studio281c and 451c printers. If the printer is not listed, you will need to go to the manufacturer's website and download the drivers.
- Once selected, click OK
- Once you have selected the driver to "Use", you are brought back to the Add screen to complete the "Add" of the printer.
- To complete the "Add" you need to click the Add button. To move to next the step of the install.
- Printer setup will begin.
- Modify your printer options as needed. This example does not have additional options to change. This set up shown would be accurate and you would click OK to move to next step
- You are nearly done. From here you will want to double left click on the [Name of the Printer] to test the printing and set the device to be your default printer if you would like to.
- From here you can print a test page by left clicking on the Printer drop down menu for the device and choosing the Print Test Page option
- The test print page should flash on the screen like the image here and then go away.
- If you click on the Printer dropdown, you can choose to set the printer as Make Default, check additional settings etc
For instructions on how to set up network printers on a Windows PC refer to Printers: Windows add printer - print server.